speedometer woes

More
20 Jul 2007 10:29 #158271 by epop2357
speedometer woes was created by epop2357
I'm giving up...... My speedometer quit working about a year ago on my 1977 KZ900. My first thought was a broken cable, but when I unhooked it, it was good. I had an old speedo off another bike and fought changing it. That wasn't the problem. One thing left...... speedo drive on front axle. Ordered one off egay...... It did not match my bike.....wasted $. The one off my parts bike also did not match my current bike and the parts bike wheel was screwed. Finally ordered one from Kawasaki for $110. It came in and also does not match my bike. Don't know what kind or model is on the bike, but it can't be for a 1977 KZ900.... I think I'm giving up and getting a new electronic speedo/tacho combination.
Signed,
Tired of the fight:blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2007 11:09 #158274 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic speedometer woes
I can't imagine as they used the same drive 41078-008 on about every motorcyle from the H1-KZ650-KZ900-KZ1000 line. What makes it not fit? You could have skipped a little of your extra work by a little more investigation first. If you spin the front wheel and the cable does not spin at your speedo, you know the problem is not the speedo itself, then you could take the cable off at the wheel and spin it with your fingers to see if the cable is broken. If it does then procede onto the drive unit. It's an extremely simple gearbox setup.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Jul 2007 11:20 #158277 by epop2357
Replied by epop2357 on topic speedometer woes
On my bike, The wheel has a male connection to the gearbox and the gearbox is female. The parts I have gotten are all the opposite. I may be wrong about which is male and female, but they are opposite on the replacement parts. I'm glad I don't have that problem with male and female with the old lady. I'm old, but I'm not dead yet.

More
22 Jul 2007 07:34 #158610 by KZ-Rob
Replied by KZ-Rob on topic speedometer woes
I had a similar problem with my 650. The dogs on the drive were barely engaging the wheel. After changing the drive I had the same problem. The solution was to add a shim(I used a copper washer) in the drive to move the dog further into the wheel.

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
22 Jul 2007 10:55 #158641 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic speedometer woes
Epop:
Have you got closeup pics of your existing and bought-from-Ebay drives ?? As well as a pic of where the drive fits into your wheel hub ?? This is usually pretty simple stuff but pics are worth a thousand words. ;)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
10 Mar 2008 13:08 #199363 by pgrojean
Replied by pgrojean on topic speedometer woes
I've determined that my problem is the drive assembly at the wheel on my KZ100 LTD. The cable does not spin (and is not broken) and I hear some funny noises coming out of the hub area. Is there a place to purchase new drive gears? I don't really want on old one even if I could find on ebay, though that may be my only option.
thanks
peter

KZ1100 LTD - 83
R1200 C - 98
RD 250/350 73
KLR 650 - 06
XS 650 - 79