Coil relay mod - No Difference

• Kz1ooo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sportbikes: 'cause piggies can't fly yet!
More
18 Jun 2007 22:18 #150779 by Kz1ooo
Coil relay mod - No Difference was created by Kz1ooo
So I completed the famous coil-relay modification as per wiredgeorge's instructions at: www.wgcarbs.com/index.php?option=com_con...view&id=12&Itemid=26

I hear this modification typically gets great reviews but after going for a test run I noticed I had the same very nice bhp and torque that I had before the mod. I am using a four prong relay off an old junker yamaha xs850. I was confused about the step entitled, "power wires to coils #87." Here it says that I should attach crimp-on 'eyes' at the end of the Y. I took this to be a typo and installed a twin female bullet connector into which the pink wires (one from each coil) plug into. Is this a mistake? Even using a new relay from the auto parts store I am unable to achieve 12V to this female connector - I suspect this is because of the electrical drain from all the lights. Anybody have an idea whats going on??

Sure, bikes are important. But if weren\'t for the good ol\' pickup, we\'d have to buy only running bikes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2007 23:33 #150789 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
I don't really understand what you are describing. First thing you should do is check the voltage at the battery. There are plenty of threads describing how to test the battery and charging system. You should be able to get pretty close to same voltage at the coils that you have at the battery. If you can't acheive that you either have bad wiring or you did not do the coil mod correctly.

• Kz1ooo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2007 01:21 #150796 by Kz1ooo
Replied by Kz1ooo on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
Sorry for the confusion. Basically my question is: (1) whether or not we should actually be installing loops or "eyes" in the "Power Wires to Coils #87" step and (2) do these connectors (Ys or bullet connectors)clip into the pink wires that power the coils.:blink:

Sure, bikes are important. But if weren\'t for the good ol\' pickup, we\'d have to buy only running bikes.

More
19 Jun 2007 04:45 #150809 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
The #87 lug on the relay suggested in the tech tip is the power out to the coils. If you attach this power to the pink wires going to your coils, it serves the purpose. You said you could tell no difference in performance before/after the mod. You stated, "I had the same very nice bhp and torque that I had before the mod. " If you had nice bhp and torque, why bother to do the mod? What were you expecting to happen? Did you take voltage readings at your coils prior to the mod and then after?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
19 Jun 2007 10:20 #150870 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
Kz1ooo wrote:

...after going for a test run I noticed I had the same very nice bhp and torque that I had before the mod...

I did this mod on my bikes *because* I have weak spark and fouling plugs. All this mod does is *restore* good spark to bikes with crappy wiring, by effectively avoiding that crappy wiring. It is not intended to *enhance* performance, just restore spark.

...I am using a four prong relay off an old junker yamaha xs850. I was confused about the step entitled, "power wires to coils #87."...

I can see why that might be confusing. The "#87" is clearly indicated on aftermarket relays you buy off the shelf. In your case, the "power wires to coils" should connect to whatever the relay power output is.

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Kz1ooo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2007 20:40 #151015 by Kz1ooo
Replied by Kz1ooo on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
Thanks everyone. Although I can't feel the difference, after going for a high speed second run (using the original wiring setup) on an already warm bike and checking the plugs they were noticably more sooted than the the first test run with the modificationl. I would expect that if there is a time when the plugs are likely to get the most blackening it is when the bike is first started when it is cold and the choke is on. Therefore, they get less sooted at high speed on a warm engine when the engine is running most efficiently...Only a guess though.

More
19 Jun 2007 22:47 #151034 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
Kz1ooo wrote:

Thanks everyone. Although I can't feel the difference, after going for a high speed second run (using the original wiring setup) on an already warm bike and checking the plugs they were noticably more sooted than the the first test run with the modificationl. I would expect that if there is a time when the plugs are likely to get the most blackening it is when the bike is first started when it is cold and the choke is on. Therefore, they get less sooted at high speed on a warm engine when the engine is running most efficiently...Only a guess though.

Too high fuel level in float bowl could cause the symptoms as described. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
20 Jun 2007 05:21 #151063 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
Kz1ooo wrote:

...I would expect that if there is a time when the plugs are likely to get the most blackening it is when the bike is first started when it is cold and the choke is on. Therefore, they get less sooted at high speed on a warm engine when the engine is running most efficiently...Only a guess though.

Correct.

I'm starting to wonder about this relay you used....

:unsure:

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
20 Jun 2007 06:47 #151079 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
if the relay mod is wired correctly and it didn't make a real improvement on your running condition you may still have a carb/jetting problem.or..

do you have electronic ign. or points and condenser ?

setting points is a art in itself

More
19 Dec 2010 21:22 #417824 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
I am confused about the "starter relay" bolt connection. My manual shows the locations of a starter solenoid and the actual motor. Id be delighted to see images where all of the connections have been made. I have made several search attempts.

1976 Kz900 A4

More
19 Dec 2010 21:37 #417827 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
It probably refers to a good ground connection as the mounting bolt for the starter relay(solenoid) or even the battery Negative(-) terminal will do.

For a light or relay to work,you need a good flow of current from one side(-) to the other(+).

A relay is nothing more than a remote control switch only having a coil to move the electrical contacts when it's energized.

More information:

www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_do_i_check_a_relay.htm

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Dec 2010 02:37 #417853 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Coil relay mod - No Difference
calvin17d wrote:

I am confused about the "starter relay" bolt connection. My manual shows the locations of a starter solenoid and the actual motor. Id be delighted to see images where all of the connections have been made. I have made several search attempts.

:unsure: KZ900?

Including information about bike year and model may elicit better responses. And it's easy to put in your signature where it will automatically appear in posted messages.
When done, the signature information appears in all posts, past and future. And may be changed as often as desired.

Here's how to do it:
Click here > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=8&id=382004#382317

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD