Advancer questions? Rubber stops?

More
12 Jun 2007 07:38 #148671 by cafekz750
Advancer questions? Rubber stops? was created by cafekz750
I have a question regarding the function of the advancer on my KZ750. I have been trying to chase down the source of my inconsistent idle this spring. When I checked the advancer for movement, I noticed that one the rubber inserts was missing from one the arms. I replaced the advancer with one from my parts bike which was complete. I started the bike and it seemed to run better but I still have a wandering idle. My next step is to perform the coil relay mod.
Anyway, I was checking out rstnick's bike (nice bike btw, how do you like the clubmans and do you have rearsets? What about the riding position? I have been thinking about doing this to my bike), video and electronic ingnition mod and stumbled upon this from loudhvx:

All you really need to know is if the total advance angle is the same. Make sure the rubber stops (they are tiny and almost invisible if dirty) are in place on the advance weights or your advance angle will increase.

I was wondering if someone could tell me more about what effect on the bike this would have if the rubber stops are missing and what the increase of the advance angle will have on the bike's performance.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2007 17:23 #178713 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Advancer questions? Rubber stops?
Sorry, I never noticed this thread earlier.

If the rubber stops fall off, the ignition will advance further than it should. At idle it'll be fine, but at higher RPMs the total advance will be higher than it should be, and you may get some pinging. Pinging will eventually damage the motor.

If you can't get new ones right away, you can just turn the advance down a little. It may idle a little rougher, but you'll be safer during acceleration and on the highway.

Ooops, I have it backward, see my later post.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/30 01:22

More
29 Oct 2007 18:34 #178730 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Advancer questions? Rubber stops?
The rubber stops keep the advance steady at idle, without them the advance will be jittery when idling. The timing will be retarded a little when they fall off, adjust the timing back to specs and it will be advanced at ~3500 and above (the timing will advance more than it's supposed to).

The rubber stops I'm familiar with go between the weights (arms) and the timing rotor, and rest against the rotor when the advance is at the minimum. If you are talking about some other rubber stops, then I don't have a clue :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/10/29 21:38

KD9JUR

More
29 Oct 2007 19:03 #178738 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Advancer questions? Rubber stops?

Anyway, I was checking out rstnick's bike (nice bike btw, how do you like the clubmans and do you have rearsets? What about the riding position?

Thanks.

Just saw this for the first time as well.
I like the Clubmans a lot. And I do have rearsets from a 2004 GSXR600. The riding position is great. I don't get too tired on long rides, but I do have long arms, so the reach was not much different from the bars I had on before, which had about a 1" raise.

When I switched the bars and pegs, it didn't feel too much different from before, and still felt natural/comfy. I've had the bike since '84, so I was very used to the riding position in stock form.

Just last week though, I rode a buddies 650C3, and had to find the pegs. My feet were floating in air until I moved them forward enough to find the pegs.:laugh:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
29 Oct 2007 22:34 #178768 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Advancer questions? Rubber stops?
Oops I have it a little backward. Thanks Steell.

If it falls off, it will be retarded. But if you then set it at idle, it will advance too far at higher RPMs. Either way, you want to get it fixed.

More
30 Oct 2007 06:01 #178784 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Advancer questions? Rubber stops?
You seem to have an unsteady idle. If you have replaced the advance mechanism and still have the issue, I suspect it isn't electrical. Please describe what the idle is actually doing.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Oct 2007 06:39 #178787 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic Advancer questions? Rubber stops?
Wow, thanks guys for following up regarding the advancer.
As the post stated, I was having trouble with my bike idling and running below 3000rpm. Fortunately, this site lead to my solution and the problem has been fixed. The bike runs great, best ever in the 10 years I have owned it. I've got the ticket and two warnings to prove it.:whistle: :blink:
Back in June, I was able to replace my advancer with one from a parts bike that I have. It did not fix my idle trouble. It turned out that one coil wasn't firing below 3000rpms once it got hot. This was frustrating since I would work on it, start it up and it would run fine and then crap out 15 miles down the rode. So, I had no idle and jerky take offs.
I replaced both coils (from the parts bike) and did the coil relay mod and replaced the spark plugs at the same time. Runs great, sounds great. In fact, I rode the bike to work this morning (not too many days left for the year before the snow flies).
Thanks again, this site and the people on it are top notch!B)

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles