78 KZ 750 wiring

More
11 Jun 2007 12:05 #148406 by ER750
78 KZ 750 wiring was created by ER750
I just got a 1978 KZ 750 twin. It has 2 small wires that are pulled loose in the battery box. One is a blk and yellow wire that is a ground and the other wire (lt brn or a pink) goes to the rectifier and I need to know where it goes. I think it goes to the ground lead on the battery but I am hoping someone here can tell me for sure. I got this old bike for very lettle and it is in fairly good shape. I need to rebuild the rear bake master cylinder and replace both tires. I aslo need a new starter for it or have the one on it rebuilt. It has 5900 miles on it and except for what I just wrote the olny other thing it a new seat or a new seat cover. Alaska can be very hard on vinyl. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. This is my second Kawasaki. My first one was a 1976 KZ400 that I owned for 15 years. Please email me the wiring diagrams or pics of where to wire these wires so I dont destroy the rectifier or the wire harness.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2007 15:30 #148445 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 78 KZ 750 wiring
First off, don't even think about attaching that pink wire to ground.

As soon as I recover from my hard day at work I'll mosey on out to the garage and look at my bike (79 twin, it's the same) to see where that wire goes. I would just look in my manual, but some unnamed individual (GPzInfested) dumped battery acid all over it :woohoo:

What's the starter doing?

There is a 76-77 manual available for download on here somewhere, but the charging system is different on the 76-77 models vs the 78-79.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/06/11 18:32

KD9JUR

More
11 Jun 2007 15:49 #148449 by ER750
Replied by ER750 on topic 78 KZ 750 wiring
I will hold off connecting it until I hear back from you. I am at work and will be off tomorrow. I am hoping to find out where to connect it so I can try to start it tomorrow. I have been tinkering with it during my off time and am close to trying it. The starter isn't doing anything. The guy who gave it too me said it had a bad starter on it. I am going to remove it and take it to an electrical shop and have it checked. They will be able to tell me what is wrong and how much to repair it. This bike has very low miles (5900) and I believe it has only been ridden on our rare hot summer days. I hope to hear from you soon.

More
11 Jun 2007 18:23 #148490 by steell
The starter is easy to remove, but it's a little more difficult to install :D

When you remove the starter, or try to install it (one or the other) the starter drive sprocket inside the alternator cover is going to fall down.

Remove left foot peg, shifter, sprocket cover, and alternator cover. Install starter, clean old gasket off, install new gasket, reassemble.

Then you find out the starter clutch is bad, so you get to do it all over again :D

Or spend $40 or so on a starter clutch rebuild kit and do it right the first time :)

White with red stripe goes to the post on the starter solinoid that has the battery cable connected to it. Black goes to black/yellow that goes to negative terminal on battery, two yellow wires go to alternator.

I couldn't see where the wires go on my bike because they go inside the wiring loom, but the battery acid didn't make it to the last pages of my manual, and that's where the wiring diagrams are :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/06/11 21:35

KD9JUR

More
12 Jun 2007 01:34 #148582 by ER750
Thank you for all the info. I appreciate you taking the time to e-mail me back!
Have a blessed day and may you know JESUS as your personal SAVIOR!!!!!!!

P.S. Where does the light brown wire go?

Saved2Serve...ER750

Post edited by: ER750, at: 2007/06/12 04:38

More
12 Jun 2007 05:08 #148618 by steell
Light brown wire from the regulator/rectifier? The reg/rec that you are looking at is a finned aluminum block right?

There is no light brown wire on the reg/rec according to the 78 wiring diagram, just four wires. if it has a five wire reg/rec then it's probably a replacement off a 650 or something.

If you don't have an answer by this evening, I'll dig out a 650 manual and see what it uses.

KD9JUR

More
12 Jun 2007 06:12 #148644 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 78 KZ 750 wiring
Why do manuals act like a magnet for battery acid? I have a KZ400 manual next to me with a huge burn, several pages deep from acid.

More
13 Jun 2007 16:50 #149123 by ER750
part number is different. Will leave light brown wire taped off. Thanks for all the info.

Saved2Serve...ER750