electronic ignition

More
23 Dec 2005 00:32 #14204 by chuckster
electronic ignition was created by chuckster
I have a 78 KZ1000A, what are the advantages of electronic ignition if any, my bike already has dyna coil k&n filters and kerker pipe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2005 03:22 #14213 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic electronic ignition
Once you install the electronic ignition you can forget about it. No hassles. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
23 Dec 2005 06:05 #14228 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic electronic ignition
chuckster... Have you ever tuned up your bike with points and condensors? You set the points dwell... gap the points... file the points... wonder if a condensor is going? Have to reset the timing? etc...

You buy a Dyna S. You put it on and time it then forget it, as brother Roy mentioned... forever. The Dyna S has come down in price DRAMATICALLY over the past year or so. Check www.z1enterprises.com - they are dirt cheap now compared to a couple years ago!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Dec 2005 06:38 #14237 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic electronic ignition

Once you install the electronic ignition you can forget about it. No hassles. Roy

Not true! I had my Dyna fry. I stated her up to warm her for an Oil change after sitting for a while. A few moments later, there was smoke coming out from the points cover. I shut her down, opened her up to have a look. One of the pickups was fried or arced or something. Why I have no idea. I had the Dyna on there for about 7 years and lots of miles.

Nothing is forever. I'm back to points at the moment, but just bought a '79 KZ1000 electronic Ign. that I will be putting into my 650 shortly.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
23 Dec 2005 07:51 #14251 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic electronic ignition
Well there's always possibility of a failure of any part, but for the most part set it and forget it. I'll bet the first year I had my first KZ650 brand new and covered about 10,000 miles using points I had to fool withem 15 times. No more of that. I put in Dyna and it's been smooth sailing all the way ever since. Best single thing you can do to these bikes is get rid of those points.
rstnick wrote:

Not true! I had my Dyna fry. I stated her up to warm her for an Oil change after sitting for a while. A few moments later, there was smoke coming out from the points cover. I shut her down, opened her up to have a look. One of the pickups was fried or arced or something. Why I have no idea. I had the Dyna on there for about 7 years and lots of miles.

Nothing is forever. I'm back to points at the moment, but just bought a '79 KZ1000 electronic Ign. that I will be putting into my 650 shortly.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Dec 2005 11:51 #14288 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic electronic ignition
DYNA DYNA DYNA DYNA DYNA DYNA DYNA DYNA...... a bit of a chant going there. DYNA rules points drool.

More
23 Dec 2005 14:04 #14301 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic electronic ignition
Could also try Boyer... Some people have had some installation problems, and there isn't much online support, but it's another option, and, unlike the Dyna S, it gets rid of the mechanical advance. Having said all that, for the next project I'm saving the pennies for a PC programmable Dyna 2000:)

More
23 Dec 2005 17:05 #14323 by tfh903
Replied by tfh903 on topic electronic ignition
I had my dyna fry also, found cause to be not enough ground thru the system. If you still have your fried one I would be interested in it. I think that I can make one good out of two bad. Poor boy electrics you know. TFH

More
23 Dec 2005 19:03 #14351 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic electronic ignition
I wish I had kept the fried one. I don't know what ever happened to it. It was about 15 years ago, so things like that get thrown out. :whistle:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
23 Dec 2005 19:27 #14355 by tfh903
Replied by tfh903 on topic electronic ignition
I understand, I'm a "packrat" and tend to keep old stuff like that. after a year or so I found the plate on ebay but without the advancer. I got it and used the original advancer, been on the bike ever since. I tend to make things work with misc old "broken stuff". TFH