Need an alternative igniter for GPz1100

More
16 May 2007 14:52 #140713 by Fossil
Oil, new plugs, another starter motor - time to fire it up. Nope. No spark. Looks like my electrical "phhhhttt" last fall also took out the igniter.
Igniters specifically for 83/84 GPz1100 go for more on ebay than most others. I was reading the GPz750 modifications link and was interested to see they had good results with an 86/87 Ninja 1000 igniter with 35 degrees advance. The 86 ZX600 igniter with 40 degrees advance is another mentioned.
Am I correct in assuming the main difference in igniters is the amount of advance and how fast they go to full advance, and rev limiter? Quite a few ZX igniters are physically interchangeable with mine, am I safe to just pick one based on price and go with it? Recommendations? Thanks
This project has really started to add up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2007 15:25 #140721 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Need an alternative igniter for GPz1100
I don't know the first thing about your system.

That being said, you might go here:

Fun with GM HEI modules

and see if there's some help there. . .

:cheer:

More
17 May 2007 11:03 #140997 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Need an alternative igniter for GPz1100
Fossil wrote:

Oil, new plugs, another starter motor - time to fire it up. Nope. No spark. Looks like my electrical "phhhhttt" last fall also took out the igniter.
Igniters specifically for 83/84 GPz1100 go for more on ebay than most others. I was reading the GPz750 modifications link and was interested to see they had good results with an 86/87 Ninja 1000 igniter with 35 degrees advance. The 86 ZX600 igniter with 40 degrees advance is another mentioned.
Am I correct in assuming the main difference in igniters is the amount of advance and how fast they go to full advance, and rev limiter? Quite a few ZX igniters are physically interchangeable with mine, am I safe to just pick one based on price and go with it? Recommendations? Thanks
This project has really started to add up!

Update/correction etc... turns out no problem with the igniter - somebody mentioned here recently the clutch lever/sidestand switch circuit - duh, I forgot that mine had been disabled and when I fitted the ZX9 lever I used the switch that came with it - uh, duh again - no longer disabled. Pull the lever, push the button and it starts.
It was advised by someone that if you can spin the engine by shorting across the solenoid terminals, then the solenoid is shot. Mine will spin when shorted this way, but does start off the starter button now that I was clued into the clutch lever switch. I now have a new solenoid I don't need paid for waiting for me at Cycle World.
It looked to me that the igniter was gone because I had no spark, and nothing else had changed (except now I realize the clutch switch - thanks to whoever posted that - saved me a lot of money and grief).
Now I've got to figure out why only the 2 middle cylinders are firing.....