Still good?

More
15 May 2007 21:31 #140509 by cuddies
Still good? was created by cuddies
In a general question atmosphere, do you think that all the electrical components of a 76 KZ900 are still good. What do I mean?.. The bike has sat since 1987, and I am in the process of restoring it. The bike has been indoors with NO exposure to sun, weather, water, or the like. The only thing it has be exposed to is the dust. So, that being said, do you think that they electronics (when I say electronics, I am talking the coil pack [if thats what they are called], the spark plug wires, etc) are still functional? I know there is no way for you to give me an exact answer, but and ideas. The last thing I want to do is get this puppy rebuilt, then not be able to fire it up because of electrical...

PS. *Off topic, but..where can I get a petcock. The original is toast, but I can't find somewhere that offeres a stock petcock, or one that will work. (other then the OEM stuff that cost BANK $$$)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
15 May 2007 21:42 #140514 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Still good?
Electrical parts can be iffy sometimes.
You can have two identical bikes manufactured back-to-back off the same assembly line, and the coils/igniter/etc on one of them could die after the bike is only ridden a few miles, while the other bike's electronics are still kickin' after 30+ years and/or 100K miles.

If you're concerned enough about it, best thing to do would be to physically check everything (wiring harnesses included) for any signs of damage/wear/aging, then do the appropriate test on each component via the directions in the service manual to see if they test within tolerable specs - replace failed/failing parts as needed.

Z1 Ent has the petcocks available.
And every once in a blue moon I see a few NOS petcocks pop up on ebay, so you just need to do some searching is all. ;)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/05/16 00:43

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
15 May 2007 21:52 #140516 by cuddies
Replied by cuddies on topic Still good?
Thanks. There are no visual signs of wear- I wiped off the dust and they looked brand new. I will check them out; I figured I would have to anyways.

Thank you for the link to the petcocks. Bummer that the one for my bike is $85 and it's sold out, and the repair kits don't even exist. I'll browse around. kzrider.com/components/com_joomlaboard/emoticons/wink.png
;)

More
16 May 2007 05:01 #140543 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Still good?
one change I would make is to get rid of the points, put on a dyna ignition, you will like it a whole lot better, other than that just start cleaning it up, small problems will pop up, got to love the old stuff

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob