starter solenoid test?

• greatbeefalo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2007 20:19 #140479 by greatbeefalo
starter solenoid test? was created by greatbeefalo
How do I test the starter solenoid on a 80 kz750?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2007 20:24 #140484 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic starter solenoid test?
What exactly happens when you try to start the bike? Nothing at all? Does the solenoid click?

My solenoid went bad in that all it did was click. Check your electrical connections first then when you are certain its not a wiring issue, you can bridge the two terminals of your solenoid with a screwdriver. If you get a big spark and your starter turns over, your solenoid is bad.

• greatbeefalo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2007 20:28 #140490 by greatbeefalo
Replied by greatbeefalo on topic starter solenoid test?
IM GLAD YOU ASK! Absolutely jack happens when I try to start. I checked the start button and it appears to be in order, no wire corrosion or any breaks. It would help if one of yall would explain what the solenoid does and the actual process of electric starting...
:whistle:

More
15 May 2007 21:26 #140507 by KZPens
Replied by KZPens on topic starter solenoid test?
The way I understood when I had to troubleshoot mine is, the starter solenoid supplies the high current needed to run the starter motor, pulling in the clutch lever ( safety switch if you have one )will give ground and pushing the starter button will give 12v to the solenoid, closing the circuit and engaging the starter.

The way I start mine is I make sure it's in neutral - pull clutch lever, turn key to on, push starter button.

If it doesn't start I'm afraid it's time to check the electrical system with a voltmeter.

Here is an old post which might help you

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...id,4/id,37526/#37526

Good luck

More
15 May 2007 21:41 #140512 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic starter solenoid test?
To check the solonoid:

Grab yourself a test light or multimeter. On the solonoid there are 2 big lugs, one goes to the battery one goes to the starter itself. You should have power on the one that goes to the battery. Next there are 2 small wires, one goes to ground the other goes to your start button. When you push the start button you should have power on the small lug on the solonoid. If you have power to the battery and power from the start button check and make sure you have ground on the remaining small lug. You can check that by using a multimeter on the OHM setting from the lug to say a bolt on the engine, it should read close to 0 ohms. Or using a test light clip the lead onto the POSITIVE terminal of the battery and touch the probe to the ground lug on the solonoid. The light should light. If all that checks out then the solonoid is likely bad. You can confirm the starter works as stated above by briding the 2 big lugs on the solonoid with a screwdriver or a peice of wire. BE CAREFUL since that goes straight to the battery a short can be very dangerous.

• greatbeefalo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2007 13:56 #140698 by greatbeefalo
Replied by greatbeefalo on topic starter solenoid test?
I read on that archive post about the starter safety switch and how it wont run if its not on properly. Does anybody have a picture of the safety switch?