Sudden Electrical Power Gone--Roadside Diagnosis Tip

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
13 May 2007 10:55 #139681 by Skyman
Yesterday, my uncle and I were participating in a 500-mile motorcycle rally around Oregon.

On the final leg of the trip, I was riding down the highway, and suddenly everything just died. Engine quit, lights gone. No power anywhere.

So I pulled over to the roadside and started looking for the problem. First I looked at the fuses. They all looked fine. So then I thought maybe my ignition switch connector was loose or broken. So I opened the headlight bucket to take a look, and it seemed fine.

So then my uncle, who is an electrical engineer, had an idea. He disconnected the wires for the front turn signal lamp. He just happened to have two patch wires with alligator clips on each end in his tool bag. He attached the wires to the light wires, then attached one clip to the frame, and the other clip to a screwdriver. VoilĂ ! A makeshift circuit tester lamp.

He then went back to the fuse box to do some testing there. Sure enough, although the fuses LOOKED fine, one of them wasn't. It had failed somewhere inside the end cap instead of in the middle. Fortunately, I had a spare fuse, and so I replaced the bad one, and I was back on my way.

Lessons learned?

• Just because a fuse looks good, doesn't mean it is good.
  • A circuit tester is a good thing to have in your toolkit.
  • If you don't have a circuit tester, carry some wire with you and improvise
  • Electrical engineers make great riding buddies.:whistle:

• West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
    • Visitor
    13 May 2007 11:16 #139684 by wireman
    Skyman wrote:

Yesterday, my uncle and I were participating in a 500-mile motorcycle rally around Oregon.

On the final leg of the trip, I was riding down the highway, and suddenly everything just died. Engine quit, lights gone. No power anywhere.

So I pulled over to the roadside and started looking for the problem. First I looked at the fuses. They all looked fine. So then I thought maybe my ignition switch connector was loose or broken. So I opened the headlight bucket to take a look, and it seemed fine.

So then my uncle, who is an electrical engineer, had an idea. He disconnected the wires for the front turn signal lamp. He just happened to have two patch wires with alligator clips on each end in his tool bag. He attached the wires to the light wires, then attached one clip to the frame, and the other clip to a screwdriver. VoilĂ ! A makeshift circuit tester lamp.

He then went back to the fuse box to do some testing there. Sure enough, although the fuses LOOKED fine, one of them wasn't. It had failed somewhere inside the end cap instead of in the middle. Fortunately, I had a spare fuse, and so I replaced the bad one, and I was back on my way.

Lessons learned?

• Just because a fuse looks good, doesn't mean it is good.
  • A circuit tester is a good thing to have in your toolkit.
  • If you don't have a circuit tester, carry some wire with you and improvise
  • B) retired electrical/plumbing contractors are a hell of a lot more fun though! :evil: :P

More
    13 May 2007 13:35 #139723 by The Milkman
    That's a common problem with these old bikes. The end clips that go on the fuses get weak and corrode and the tip of the fuse gets hot and melts the fuse filament where it hooks to the end cap. It's time to replace the fuse block with a newer blade type. There is a write up in the database on how to do this, I do believe.

Mouse over KZ Information, click on Filbase then not model specific,, and you will find it in the list. Works wonders.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/05/13 16:37

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• Skyman
    • Topic Author
    • User
    • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
    More
    14 May 2007 10:02 #139902 by Skyman
    Thought I would throw in this photo that was taken on this trip. This was at the Heceta Head Lighthouse on the central Oregon coast.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/05/14 13:03

West Linn, OR
    Attachments:

• riverroad
    • User
    • 1980 1000LTD B4
    More
    14 May 2007 10:23 #139907 by riverroad
  • [/quote]B) retired electrical/plumbing contractors are a hell of a lot more fun though! :evil: :P[/quote]

Sorry to disagree, but I think I'd rather ride with a Hooters chick and a jumper wire.:whistle:

• wireman
    • Visitor
    14 May 2007 13:20 #139953 by wireman
    riverroad wrote:

• B) retired electrical/plumbing contractors are a hell of a lot more fun though! :evil: :P[/quote]

Sorry to disagree, but I think I'd rather ride with a Hooters chick and a jumper wire.:whistle:[/quote]oh that hurt!:P quick pt photochop my head on to a hooters girl!:woohoo: :P

More
    14 May 2007 14:15 #139965 by ltdrider
    That's a great photo, Skyman!
    Looks like you had an awesome ride... glad that a pesky blown fuse didn't ruin it for you.

I've got this $5.00 voltmeter/ohmeter that I got at a swapmeet. Made in China, I think, and it's about as big as a credit card. Perfect for a bike tool kit.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
    '96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
    '79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
    Greensboro, NC

More
    14 May 2007 15:08 #139978 by flht1997
    i carry a harbor freight DVOM with me, got me out of a few jams. cost about 4 bucks

Matt Milwaukee, WI
    75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
    78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
    89' BMW R100RT
    05' H-D Electra Glide
    06' KLR650
    Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.