starting with no battery?

More
10 May 2007 18:19 #139038 by brawnyrebel
starting with no battery? was created by brawnyrebel
Is it possible to modify a kz900 to start with no battery in it using the kick starter? If not what is the reasoning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2007 18:28 #139040 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic starting with no battery?
Should be possible as long as you use a 5600 micro-farad capacitor in place of the battery. The bike needs to be very well tuned and should be made to start reliably with a battery before converting to battery-less.

This only works on Kz's with permanent-magnet alternators.

More
10 May 2007 18:47 #139047 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic starting with no battery?
loudhvx wrote:

Should be possible as long as you use a 5600 micro-farad capacitor

GESUNTITE!!:huh: :blink: :laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
10 May 2007 20:02 #139069 by brawnyrebel
Replied by brawnyrebel on topic starting with no battery?
loudhvx wrote:

Should be possible as long as you use a 5600 micro-farad capacitor in place of the battery. The bike needs to be very well tuned and should be made to start reliably with a battery before converting to battery-less.

This only works on Kz's with permanent-magnet alternators.

How would i know if mine is a permanent magnet alt? Could this capacitor be wired with the battery as well for a back up when it goes dead? Also would the capacitor need to be pre charged somehow before the first start?

Post edited by: brawnyrebel, at: 2007/05/10 23:15

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 May 2007 20:15 #139074 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic starting with no battery?
magneto;)

More
10 May 2007 20:18 #139077 by brawnyrebel
Is there a magneto that can be retro fitted onto a 76? It always stinks to have a dead battery and a kickstarter that only works with a charged battery

More
10 May 2007 22:15 #139110 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic starting with no battery?
brawnyrebel wrote:

Is there a magneto that can be retro fitted onto a 76? It always stinks to have a dead battery and a kickstarter that only works with a charged battery

A magneto is a permanent-magnet alternator that is timed and made specifically to fire a spark-coil. I believe there is a magneto unit made for the KZ's.

I don't know what year you have, but I thought all the 900's were permanent-magnet alternators. But I could be wrong.

If your bike discharges the battery, then there may be a charging system problem. That would be a bad candidate for going battery-less until you fix the charging system. Kickstarters can work with a discharged battery as long as the battery is not defective in some way, and the charging system is working.

More
11 May 2007 04:11 #139144 by brawnyrebel
I see. I wonder if my alternator could be the problem then. The bike will kick on the second or third kick with a good battery but not at all if you let it drain down. I definatly have a drain coming from somewhere but i have never been able to locate it. Possibly it is the alternator draining it.