timing screw up...help

More
06 May 2007 15:52 #137665 by clubhobo
timing screw up...help was created by clubhobo
I was ambitious this morning and decided I was going to fix this small backfire problem I have at idle. Over all the bike ran okay on all four beside the sputter. I took the timing cover off and adjusted the timing with a lite...I never really could the "F" to align perfectly on both sides, but close...I also noticed my 2 and 3 points making sparks..pretty soon 1 and 4 cylinder weren't firing at all. I killed it and tried to start it again I got no spark from 1,2,3, or 4? I then started from scratch..gapped points..static timed it..still no spark at the plugs? Took the the tank off...the coil leads are getting juice and I have juice at the green and black connectors...but when I test for power down at the points I get nothing? What the hell did I do..any ideas? thanks

Post edited by: clubhobo, at: 2007/05/06 18:54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
06 May 2007 17:18 #137691 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic timing screw up...help
Juice to points, points to ground. Check that the circuit is complete. Point voltage should go to zero when they are closed = test light to ground will go out.

More
06 May 2007 18:33 #137709 by clubhobo
Replied by clubhobo on topic timing screw up...help
I got spark off 2 and 3 finally. When 1 and 4 points were open I got no volts. I ununhooked the hot black from the points and it lit up. It doesn't like being hooked up to that condensor..pisses me off because I just bought these points/condensors...anybody know where to get quality...I bought these current ones off ebay. thanks for your help.

More
06 May 2007 19:05 #137725 by steell
Replied by steell on topic timing screw up...help
You don't have the wire grounding out to the frame of the points do you? That's real easy to do accidentally.

KD9JUR

More
07 May 2007 05:20 #137828 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic timing screw up...help
why not fix the thing and put a dyna on it, I did it to my 650 and made a lot of difference in the running of the bike, plus no more screwing with the points

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 May 2007 19:21 #138052 by clubhobo
no... it was working before and it just decided to croke I guess?

More
07 May 2007 19:24 #138053 by clubhobo
Yeah I know....my wife is on me to sell it..so I don't want to dump too much into it.