kz900 speedo drive

More
19 Dec 2005 11:22 #13743 by epop2357
kz900 speedo drive was created by epop2357
The speedo drive on my 1977 kz-900 does not spin the cable when the wheel spins. Upon removing the drive, I can manually move the internal parts of drive and the cable will spin. I guess it no longer makes contact with the wheel. Can an NOS speedometer drive still be had for this bike or do I have to take my chances with e-bay. I see one on ebay now, but for a police and mine looks different than it anyway. Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2005 12:22 #13752 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz900 speedo drive
Bill, If you look at your speedo drive, there is a rubber seal between it and the hub. This seal can swell... I had the same problem on one of my KZ900s and ended up sanding down the seal and a little of the case material on the where it seats to allow the two "teeth" that catch on the cut outs in the hub to engage. The "teeth" things seems to have worn a bit and the seal swelled. If you grind, remove the bevel gears in the drive case and blow the thing out good and then re-lube before putting them back in.

You can also keep an eye out for a "new" speedo drive on eBay and hope it will be in better shape than yours. Any of the ones from a Z1 or KZ900 will fit and I suspect KZ1000 drives will also fit but am not positive.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Dec 2005 12:33 #13754 by epop2357
Replied by epop2357 on topic kz900 speedo drive
thanks alot george. I hadn't thought about grinding down the housing and seal, but it seems like that may work in my case....

More
19 Dec 2005 14:21 #13771 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic kz900 speedo drive
Try a bike wrecker. Most if not all will ship UPS. Price should be 50% of new and UPS can't be that much for such a small part.