Slow Starter

More
01 May 2007 20:58 #136316 by bkitchen
Slow Starter was created by bkitchen
I just bought a new battery thinking that would cure my slow starter motor. But with the new battery fully charged it is still slow. Have to use the kick starter until it is warmed up and then it is still just enough to get it going most of the time. Does this mean the starter is bad or is there something else I can check? I am going to check the wiring to the starter also. Any ideas would help. This is on the KZ900 with the 1075 kit. The PO did the 1075 do I need a more powerful starter? I hear some from early 80's honda CB's are a drop in with more power?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2007 21:45 #136342 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Slow Starter
If You're just running a 1075 kit,then the stock KZ starter will work fine.I'm cammed and 1105,and My starter works great.
Have You had the starter out and apart yet?
Connections are all good?...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
02 May 2007 07:42 #136417 by bkitchen
Replied by bkitchen on topic Slow Starter
Haven't had it apart yet. But I will check that next. The battery was about 2 years old so I figured that was the problem.

More
02 May 2007 08:30 #136430 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Slow Starter
As Sandy mentioned, check your connections! Get your connections all clean, solid and soldered if necessary from Battery terminal to Starter terminal and in between. By pass your starter solenoid to check if it has developed a high internal resistance. If so change it and retest.

If they are all good then it could be the brushes inside the starter. Replacement kit is always available on eBay at between $30-$40 USD or try Z1 Enterprises. If its the communtator inside the starter it could be turned at a machine shop or if its too far gone, again I see a lot of reconditioned Starters on eBay at about $150 USD.

Best of success!

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada