Electronic Tach

More
01 May 2007 14:34 #136171 by dnhnky
Electronic Tach was created by dnhnky
Has anyone used any type of electronic tach. My tach doesn't work and my drive gear also went south a couple nights ago. It appears to be bent and has heavy marks from the cam gear. No chunks missing, but if it had run any longer I sure it would have been completely stripped.:blink:
Now I need a whole new set up, just wondering if anyone has come accross some type of electric/ electronic tach that will work and is reasonablly priced. (under $200). I plugged the hole in the head with a spare tach adapter that I welded up. Thanks for any suggestions, Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2007 14:44 #136175 by shaftie1100
Replied by shaftie1100 on topic Electronic Tach
Hi,

I have an 83' 1100LTD, an it came standard with an electric tach. After smashing my instrument cluster to pieces, I've not been able to find an exact replacement. I have instead hacked out the full gauge cluster from an early 90's Vulcan. It works perfect... since it's a genuine Kaw part, all of the wires are properly color coded. You just need to open up the two quick-connects and swap out their housings.

If you can't find a tach from a Vulcan, check out this eBay auction for a different tach I found... this should also work for you with a little bit of modification.

eBay auction

Post edited by: shaftie1100, at: 2007/05/01 17:46

Post edited by: kzrider, at: 2007/05/01 18:12

More
02 May 2007 09:01 #136442 by dnhnky
Replied by dnhnky on topic Electronic Tach
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure something from a newer bike would work with my old point ignition system. I guess I can check with a local shop that has some odds and ends. It's just sometimes that guy doesn't think outside the box. He told me that I couldn't fit 750 pistons in my 550 Honda and that the 750 carbs would fit/work either. It does seem to be running though.

More
02 May 2007 09:45 #136450 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Electronic Tach
Seems an aftermarket automotive unit would do the same thing, as long as it is set to the correct scale.

More
02 May 2007 15:47 #136535 by Voodoosoup
Replied by Voodoosoup on topic Electronic Tach
I'm going to be putting one of these on my bike soon.
www.electrosport.com/electrosport_speedo_2700.html

More
03 May 2007 12:22 #136826 by dnhnky
Thanks guys, I did check out that site and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I thought about an automotive one and was trying to think about the signals for the tach and settings and got a headache from thinking about it. I have one of those universal ones for a 4-6-8 cylinder auto. I guess I could hook it up and see what it does. I think I have a project for when I get home this evening. My only other concern for an auto one is waterproofing. I'll let you know if it works.

More
03 May 2007 12:22 #136827 by dnhnky
Tried the auto tach, it wasn't reading fast enough. If I could get the sinals from both coils it might work, but that would require some diodes I think. I'm not always that good with the electrical stuff. I'll try to see if I can get a motorcycle electronic tach locally.

Post edited by: dnhnky, at: 2007/05/04 07:17

More
07 May 2007 09:08 #137882 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Electronic Tach
When you say it wasn't fast enough, do you mean it didn't respond quick to change in input, or that it read half of rpm?

I know I would miss a tach, but I'd miss a speedo a lot more.

More
07 May 2007 09:45 #137891 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Electronic Tach
It would read half the RPMs (in 4cyl mode) because it only gets half the signals. It needs the signals from both coils, but it takes an adapter circuit. Unfortunately, a bike with 180 degrees dwell needs a slightly more sophisticated adapter to work right.

Here's one for a bike using the Kaw electronic ignition (120 degrees dwell), but it won't work on points. I hope to design one in the future for the points bikes as well. If you do a search, you might be able to purchase one, but it sucks paying $20 to $50 for $3 worth of parts.

Attachments: