battery loosing power

More
30 Apr 2007 00:00 #135543 by JanRa
battery loosing power was created by JanRa
Hello all,

I have a KZ650 from 1977.
I managed to get it running again. I installed a new battery, but I noticed that after not letting the engine run for few days, that i can not get the bike started anymore. Lights and all still burn but the battery doesnt seem to have enough power to start the engine. If I reload the battery, the bike starts again. Is this normal behaviour of the battery? Or is there something wrong? I read somewhere that it might be a bad grounding of a broken cable or so? How can i detect this?

Take care,

Jan Ramboer
Brussels, Belgium

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2007 17:48 #135762 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic battery loosing power
have you checked the battery to see if it can take a load?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
30 Apr 2007 19:12 #135811 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic battery loosing power
Is the Trapest beer still fantastic in Brussels?

Have you checked to see if there is a drain on the battery?

Now, I'm going to assume that no one has modified the wiring. Turn your ignition switch to the OFF position. Measure the voltage on the battery and record the reading. Remove the Positive lead(s), measure the battery voltage again and record your reading. Compare the two reading. Normally, they should be the same. If the reading with the battery disconnected higher then there is a short to chassis ground somewhere in your wiring. Congratulations, you now have a solid symptom to follow and correct.

No meter you say, take an old AM radio, tune it to a frequency with no reception, turn up the volume to maximum, put it real close to the bike, move the ignition switch back and forth between the ON and OFF position. If you hear crackling on the radio then the radio is your new meter. Move the switch to the OFF position. Disconnect your battery positive again. Move the ignition switch to the ON position. Now, tape your positive battery lead against the positive terminal of the Battery. If again you hear the radio crackle then there is a short in the wiring but you now have a work-around for your no-meter situation. Also, means its a good time to buy or borrow a cheap meter.

If you think it works well, wait until you try to use the radio to test if you have contact at the points. This is where it really shines.

Let's get you riding. Best of success!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/04/30 22:14

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
01 May 2007 04:24 #135913 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic battery loosing power
need to pull my head out, you said you had a new battery, my bad, look for a drain, I had issues with running and drain problems, located it in the wiring in the handle bars, wires rub inside and chafe, :P :P

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
01 May 2007 06:26 #135946 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic battery loosing power
Well, he did say new battery but didn't say much regarding how it was charged. If the battery was quick charged, it may not have been charged correctly and may be discharging as a result. Also, a new battery can have a shorting cell. The cells should be tested with a hydrometer. If any of the cells are not perfect, the battery should probably be returned. Battery health is the FIRST step in any electrical troubleshooting attempt. After checking the battery health, then make sure it isn't discharging due to a load with the key off as Bill suggested. I personally have purchased bad batteries in the past.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 May 2007 12:12 #136480 by JanRa
Replied by JanRa on topic battery loosing power
Hi all,

Thanks all for the swift replies. I'll be checking things out this weekend, if wife and kids alow me :-)

And yes the Trappist Beers are still marvelous. Especially together with some BBQ meat hehehehe.

Hope to be riding this summer,

Jan