Starting after the ride

More
29 Apr 2007 08:03 #135213 by 01brian
Starting after the ride was created by 01brian
Hi. Well it was the first real nice day yesterday and I went for a ride into town (12 miles). We cruized in town for about 10 minutes, then parked. Visited for a few more minutes and went to leave. My bike wouldnt even turn over. I had lights and everything, but the starter wouldn't engage. We were working in town at the park and I had a friend bring in a charger an hour later. For kicks when I got back I tried to start it before putting the charger on an it fired up just like normal. The engine had cooled down. I put the charger on just in case for a couple of hours, then road home. 12 miles. Stopped in front of the garage, shut it off to open. Then you guessed it. I had to push it up hill because it wouldn't start again (Hot). Very heavy bike up hill. So, what do you think? I did buy a new battery a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for any input:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2007 09:27 #135249 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Starting after the ride
If you bypass the starter relay does it spin over?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
29 Apr 2007 10:03 #135265 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Starting after the ride
OKC_Kent wrote:

If you bypass the starter relay does it spin over?

There Ya go...try that.
I don't think You're battery is the problem...that sounds good,if You're getting all the lights on...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
29 Apr 2007 14:45 #135336 by 01brian
Replied by 01brian on topic Starting after the ride
Well, I went out again today, another warm one in colorado. This time I just put the charger on for kicks, and it was pulling 6 amps...seemed like it was too high for the new battery. I let it charge for about a half an hour, road the same 12 miles. After I got there, it started right up. And it started up after I got home. I think the battery may never have been fully charged?? I don't know fore sure how to
pull the starter relay...but if it happens again, I will look into that (is it basically like jumping the starter and bypassing the electrical button starting system?) I am rather new to repairs on this type of bike.