plug wiring

More
27 Apr 2007 04:38 #134506 by yellowbike
plug wiring was created by yellowbike
does anyone know the wiring sequence for a kz1000, 1980 b4? mine has (looking from seat to handlebars)the coil on the right under the tank going to plugs 3 and 4 and the left going to 1 and 2. i had a different bike years ago and i dont think this is right. bike will backfire also when it starts if this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2007 05:43 #134530 by steell
Replied by steell on topic plug wiring
One coil goes to 2&3, the other goes to 1&4.

KD9JUR

More
27 Apr 2007 05:58 #134535 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic plug wiring
The bike isn't wired correctly. To figure out how to wire any 73-80 KZ, note that the bike will have either points or an electronic IC Igniter ignition. Yours has the latter but both type systems using the same wire color codes. The LEFT pickup or coil will have a black wire coming off it. The black wire on the IC Igniter type ignition will connect from the pickup coil to the igniter and come out of the IC Igniter as a black wire. This wire is carries the signal for the 1 & 4 coil. Whichever coil it connects to becomes the 1 & 4 coil. The RIGHT pickup coil (or points) has a green wire coming off it and going through the IC igniter (in the case of an electronic ignition) and the green wire is the 2 & 3 signal. Whichever coil it is hooked to becomes the 2 & 3 coil.

Generally, the right coil (as you sit on bike) is the 1&4 coil and left coil is the 2&3. Pull the wires off the plugs. Put the 1 & 4 coil wires on the 1 & 4 plugs. Put the 2 & 3 coil wires on the 2 & 3 plugs.

Keep in mind that 2 & 3 cylinders/plugs fire together and 1 & 4 plugs fire as a pair.

Your bike CAN NOT run wired incorrectly... It start and try to chug but won't run much at all.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Apr 2007 07:22 - 03 Dec 2008 12:47 #134555 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 12:47 by JMKZHI.

More
27 Apr 2007 07:48 #134564 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic plug wiring
The 2-3 pickup has yellow and red wires to it. Otherwise, it's like WG said.

It's possible to have the wires backwards and run fine if the rotor is 180-out.

More
27 Apr 2007 18:17 #134821 by yellowbike
Replied by yellowbike on topic plug wiring
there has been some rewiring on this bike then. have pink wires coming off both coils. also the coils do not look the same. i did switch them the way you said and now the bike wont start. have strong spark at each plug when held against engine though. sounds like it wants to start, but makes "pfft" sound from carbs when turn over (both kick start and electric)

More
29 Apr 2007 11:01 #135293 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic plug wiring
then switch the negative wires or triggered wires on the coils

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.