Troubleshooting

More
24 Apr 2007 12:56 #133532 by Bicycle Lee
Troubleshooting was created by Bicycle Lee
So I ride an old, decommissioned police bike...among all the switches is one that turns the headlight on and off...
I've found that when the headlight is switched off, my bike idles great, but as soon as I switch the light on it sputters and eventually dies.
What's the deal? How can I remedy this? Is it the charging system?

1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2007 13:12 #133536 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Troubleshooting
Sounds like the headlight is drawing more juice than the bike can make at idle.
Does it only falter at idle? If so, then maybe your battery's not holding a charge. The generator doesn't send much current to the battery at idle, and if your battery can't store it up, then there won't be enough juice for the coils. At about 3000 rpms, the problem should go away, if your generator is working right.
...OR...
Your headlight may be drawing more current than it should due to bad/dirty connections. Or you may have a super brite upgraded headlight bulb that draws more current than the original bulb. The original bulb draws 35W on low beam, and 50W on high beam, but upgrade bulbs can draw 85W, and they can tax your charging system, especially at idle.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
24 Apr 2007 13:55 #133546 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic Troubleshooting
It goes away as the rpm's increase, so my normal performance isn't affected, only idle is fluttery. My battery is brand new and holds a great charge, but I don't know anything about the bulb that's in there

1978 KZ1000 police

More
25 Apr 2007 04:52 #133729 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Troubleshooting
I wonder if the charging sysetm is working right, or you still have something going to ground from the old system

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
25 Apr 2007 07:59 #133797 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Troubleshooting
Lee,a standard bulb will be 55/60 watts.
You should pull the bulb out and have a look at it,to see what wattage it is,to be sure.
I know others have,and are using a higher wattage bulb,and with some rewiring and a relay,it can work.

1977 KZ1000 A-1