Turn signal rate of flash.

More
23 Apr 2007 10:39 #133084 by barquirt
Turn signal rate of flash. was created by barquirt
This will be an oddball question...

On my '77 KZ650B1 I've noticed the turn signals seem to flash at a somewhat slow rate when I'm waiting at a stoplight or just at idle. They seem to increase in the flash rate if I'm running at normal speeds or the engine gets some rpms.

I've checked my charging sytsem output (new rectifier and regulator from oregon electrics) and I'm getting more than 13.5 volts at 3,000 rpm without the headlight switched on. My battery is fresh, too. Is this just a quirk of an older bike or am I being given warning of a elecrical problem?

I have aftermarket signals on the bike. They are K&S D.O.T. approved mini halogen signal lights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2007 11:33 #133099 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Turn signal rate of flash.
They flash slower because at idle the voltage drops because it isn't charging as much. Check and clean the ground and electrical connections to the lights to see if that helps. It would also help some to replace the flasher with an electronic one instead of using the thermo type that is originally on the bike if you haven't already done so. They cost about 4 times more but are worth it.
Ride Safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
23 Apr 2007 11:59 #133108 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Turn signal rate of flash.
I wouldn't worry to much about that. If you want just check how much voltage is going to the flashers at different RPM and how much is at the battery and check for how much resistance you have. If a whole volt dropped you have unwanted resistance

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
23 Apr 2007 19:02 #133237 by Booncha57
Replied by Booncha57 on topic Turn signal rate of flash.
my friend put an electronic one on his kz400 and it fixed that problem.