kill switch

More
19 Apr 2007 20:05 #132068 by Booncha57
kill switch was created by Booncha57
my ignition switch (the red knob one) is very hard to turn if i can even get it to turn at all. its very fussy. i stopped using it in fear of breaking it and having a problem, but i like everything to work so id like to know what is involved in replacing/fixing that switch. i have no idea what lies beneath the red!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2007 20:11 #132071 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic kill switch
it probably just needs to be cleaned. take it apart and give it a good look

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
19 Apr 2007 21:31 #132084 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic kill switch
I had a similar symptom and I had to do this when I got my bike last year. Remember to spread out a white sheet and expect a ball bearing and a spring to get lost. Don't ask...

There were also tiny fragile brass contacts inside and soldered connections. I'd like to say that I only cleaned, wire brushed the contact surfaces very lightly, greased, reassembled and all was good. Well I'd be lying... I actually had broken plastic parts and I had to do extensive reconstruction including soldering, gluing and most notably replacing the broken switch knob pivot with a stainless steel countersunk bolt, etc. By the way, if the round disk that holds the contacts is cracked and broken the parts can be reassembled and glued using plumbing glue and a small tie-wrap as a vise... leave to harden for several days! It has worked like new ever since.

Yours may not have the same faults, so it might be as simple as clean and grease.

Best success!

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
19 Apr 2007 21:33 #132085 by bill_wilcox100
Ooopps! Double Post!

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/04/20 01:45

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
19 Apr 2007 22:02 #132104 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic kill switch
I had the same problem. I took mine apart, cleaned and greased it. Works great now.

As Bill wrote, be careful when disassembling. There are small parts in there that can go flying if you're not careful.

West Linn, OR

More
20 Apr 2007 04:45 #132149 by Booncha57
Replied by Booncha57 on topic kill switch
how does it come off, just pull up on it?

More
20 Apr 2007 05:15 #132155 by bill_wilcox100
No man! Get a manual if your going to do this or check BikeBandit for a free peak at an exploded view. I had to use this 1978 diagram because I could not find one for my 1977 KZ650-B1:

www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/showschematic.asp?dept_id=329640

I disassembled the right side switch gear. Disconnected its cable end connectors, I believe they were in the head light or under the tank or both. I pulled the freed cable out of the handlebars and laid the assembly on a white sheet (actually it didn't use a white sheet so that's why I know you'll deed one). I disassembled the upper gear by removing one or two or three Philips head screws (see your exploded view diagram). At this point all kinds of plastic parts feel out. As I mentioned earlier, I saved all the parts and glued them back together with plumber's glue. Yes, I had to file and shape after to get them back in… they will never come out again, ever. Next time its a replacement task not a repair.

Someone on this forum may be able to lead you to a more detailed diagram than I had to use. Hope you have small fingers or are good with tiny parts!

Best of success!

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
Montreal, Canada

More
20 Apr 2007 09:08 #132232 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic kill switch
Mine recently had the same problem, and I realized for me it was better to buy a used control from a member here and switch the parts over. I would never have been able to glue all the little plastic parts back together. Besides the ball and spring went flying so I was kind of screwed there:P

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles