Not electronically saavy

• Scozzmo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2005 07:55 #12612 by Scozzmo
Not electronically saavy was created by Scozzmo
I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I am no good when it comes to electronic stuff. (I apologize in advance for the length of this post.)

The '80 KZ750-E1 is having a sporadic electrical issue. It started suddenly about six months ago and has puzzled me ever since. At times when I hit the starter button the starter will begin to turn over for a short fraction of a second and then all of the electrics will go dark.

No lights, no idiot lights, no horn, no signals, no click from the solenoid, nothing at all. And all of the fuses are just fine.

My brother in law George found that jumping the starter solenoid seemed to get the electrics back for whatever reason. And oddly, when he put the volt meter across the positive and negative terminals on the battery, the lights would come back on for the time the terminals were jumped. It occurred to me that perhaps I was causing the problem by hitting the starter button too quickly so I began holding it for a bit longer and that seemed to help. Until last week that is....

Last week the same problem occurred. The starter kicked over for a brief moment then all electrical stuff stopped working. I wasn't certain how George jumped the starter solenoid so I didn't even try experimenting there. I was able to bump start the bike, but it only ran raggedly on two cylinders. Once I shut the engine off the electric stuff stopped working again.

I'm not sure what I did next but after a few minutes I was able to get lights on the dash again. Bump starting the bike got her running on all four cylinders as if nothing had happened and she made the twenty-five mile ride home without a hitch.

I know this explanation is long and lacking in a lot of information, but it is the best that I can do. Can any of the gurus out there make any sense of it? Can anyone offer any starting points of what to look for so that I can resolve the problem? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Dec 2005 08:13 #12615 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Not electronically saavy
Hey Scozzmo,
First of all, I believe that you're a member here so the "visitor" tag indicates that you didn't login before posting. Your posts will be searchable by your profile and your post count will be advanced if you login first.
I don't have any experience with your exact model, but I think I recognize your symptoms. I think that one or more of the wires in one of the harnesses that jump from the frame to your steering head may have become an intermittant open. Take a look at all the harnesses on both the frame and the steering head. Is there one place where a cable wrap is causing the harness to flex all in one place? Is there any one place where the harness folds tightly rather than flexing gracefully? You can check it out by putting the bike on the center stand and fiddling with the harnesses. I'll bet you can cause and cure the problem just by moving the wire harnesses around. Of course it's possible that the problem has gone so far that the open wire cannot be reconnected by just moving the harness. If that's the case you're going to have to get very familiar with a Volt/Ohm meter to find the culprit.
Good Luck
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
11 Dec 2005 09:50 #12624 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic Not electronically saavy
Check battery cables and connections. Sounds like a loose or bad connection that makes innermitant contact.

More
11 Dec 2005 15:38 #12660 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Not electronically saavy
What Harry said.

I was also thinking loose battery cables particularly at the part when you mentioned your brother put a meter across the battery terminals and everything lit up. I have had exactly the same issue. The connections can look fine at the battery but can actually have come loose and are faulty. Get a screwdriver and make sure they are tight. Put the probes from a volt meter on each battery terminal and you should see about 12.6V. Then put one probe on the + terminal and the other on the frame. If you dont see the same 12.6V then the problem is a bad connection on the - terminal either at the battery or where the neg cable is attached to the frame or motor.
Good Luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Dec 2005 17:48 #12683 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Not electronically saavy
Hey Scozzmo,
I have doubts about "And oddly, when he put the volt meter across the positive and negative terminals on the battery, the lights would come back on for the time the terminals were jumped."
It's more likely that he put the meter from the positive to the frame which, if the meter could stand the current, would bridge a bad ground connection.
Easy Fix if that's the problem.
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
11 Dec 2005 19:22 #12700 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Not electronically saavy
A voltmeter has very high resistance. It won't "bridge" a ground connection.

More
12 Dec 2005 07:20 #12734 by Scozzmo
Replied by Scozzmo on topic Not electronically saavy
Hmmmm... I wonder if my connection timed out during my original post. I was signed in when I started, but I took a bit of time while typing the post.

The connections at the battery were the first things we looked at. This weekend I'll pull the tank and start tracing the wiring harness to see if there are any loose connections, kinks, or worn spots. I'll also be pulling the switch housings to make sure that they are clean and in good shape.

Thanks for all the pointers folks. I'll let you know what I find.

Scozz

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
12 Dec 2005 10:21 #12749 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Not electronically saavy
if putting pressure on the battery terminal makes it work and the connections are clean, your battery post is likely broken internally. Before messing with a bunch of other stuff, I would see if it behaves with a different battery. Don't want to spend the bux, use some jumper cables.

the only other thing I can think of that would react to pressure on the terminals is a bad connection ast the other end of one of the battery cables. the ground end or the end on the solenoid.

-Duck

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2005/12/12 13:22

More
12 Dec 2005 14:03 #12785 by fergyfer
Replied by fergyfer on topic Not electronically saavy
Buy a can or tube of dielectric grease and any connection you clean, shoot a bit of grease into it before you reconnect. It could very well be just a bad bullet connection. I've had many!

More
12 Dec 2005 17:57 #12833 by tweakin_82
Replied by tweakin_82 on topic Not electronically saavy
All of the suggestions look great so i am not going to repeat any of them, just make sure that as you are looking over your wires pay close attention to corosion. You may only be able to see a little bit on the end of a wire, but under the wire casing it may be worse. Like this weekend i tried disconecting a plug that had a small amount of green corrosion showing on it and so i tapped it with the handle of a screw driver and ended up with a pile of corrosion on my garage floor.