Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brake lights 03 Apr 2007 07:15 #126089

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
my running light is working but the brake light isn't working when I engage the brakes. I dont know electricals, any help on where to start? could it be as simple as a bulb?
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

brake lights 03 Apr 2007 07:22 #126094

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
If your tail light works, but your brake light doesn't come one - when you apply the front or back brakes - then it's probably just the bulb. The tail bulb has two elements, a dim one for the tail light, and a bright one for the brake light. Your bright element might be shot. You should be able to see the burnout if you take off the red lens and look at the bulb.
If you can get the brake light to come on with either the front or back brake applied, then it's probably a switch or a wiring connection.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

brake lights 03 Apr 2007 09:28 #126159

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
squints wrote:

. . . could it be as simple as a bulb?

yes

brake lights 03 Apr 2007 12:59 #126202

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Awesome, thats what I thought too becuase the light was on, just no flashy flashy when I brakey brakey.

Since I'm not near my bike right now, any chance someone knows the part number for that bulb???
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

brake lights 03 Apr 2007 13:39 #126210

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
squints wrote:

Since I'm not near my bike right now, any chance someone knows the part number for that bulb???

If it's a two-filiment, offset bayonet base, it's probably an 1157.

I'm not near your bike either.

You are going to have to remove the lens to remove the bulb When you take out the bulb, push in a little on it, and then turn it counterclockwise a little and it should come out. Take it with you to the auto parts store, so you can match it up. I think there is a 1157LL bulb which is new technology and may last longer and burn brighter than the older 1157.

Don't force the new bulb in. It has an offset base, so it is only supposed to install one way.

You might wear gloves while changing the bulb. It could be that the old one is stuck and if the glass breaks while you are fooling with it, the gloves might protect you. Don't want you to get bit by your bike while you are playing with it's @$$. That kind of thing can ruin a day.

;)

brake lights 03 Apr 2007 22:01 #126317

• AR15Ron
  • User
there is an 1157LL, worth the extra $1 or so. Long life, think its brighter too. When you change the blub it doesnt hurt to put a little contact grease on it so it wont get stuck in there for the next time. Mine was rusted in pretty good, gloves = good idea. Your local auto parts store should be able to hook you up. Any doubt bring the old bulb with you.

Ron

brake lights 04 Apr 2007 05:34 #126350

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I just put one of the LED bulbs, in my 1000, still not sure if its better or not, but it may last longer
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

brake lights 04 Apr 2007 05:40 #126351

• pyxen
  • User
I had trouble with 1157 style LED blubs.. I couldn't get the tail lights to come on, but the brakes worked. Not sure what the deal on that one was, but I've still got my standard bulbs in there.

I'd love to have the LEDs in there though, cause it's a much nicer red, though I don't think it's any brighter.

I haven't fooled around with it too much yet - so I'm obviously not *that* hard up to get it to work.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• Page: