\"PO\" On Light Switch

More
17 Mar 2007 09:59 #121005 by 13thlevel
\"PO\" On Light Switch was created by 13thlevel
What does the PO on the light switch mean?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2007 12:10 #121046 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic \"PO\" On Light Switch
maybe "Permanently On". the owners manuals for both my 1979 and 1980 bikes call it a dimmer switch, not a light switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
17 Mar 2007 14:15 #121086 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic "PO" On Light Switch
In the U.S. model 1973 Z1 (from factory, as per KHI FSM and original Owner's Manual) PO and ON positions do the same thing -- turn on both headlight and taillight. Some owners wire PO to turn on tail light and/or front blinkers (without blinking) as "parking lights" without the headlight.

European model headlight switch PO position turns on the tail light and "city light" (a small 4 watt lamp inside the headlamp for riding at dusk or where legally required for city driving after dark). So maybe the PO is short for Polite.

KHI FSM's from 1973 Z1 though 1979 KZ1000's do not answer the question. Nor does Chilton's 1973-74 Z1 Repair book.

The 1976 KZ900LTD headlight switch markings and functions are same as the Z1 (but without the Z1's throttle tension screw).

Believe the PO city light position may have at some point been removed from the U.S. model headlight switch assembly.

Now, after all that, sorry to say I remain uncertain as to exactly what words the initials PO stand for.

My "dimmer" switches are both on top of the left hand handlebar switch.

But will offer this essential headlight trivia -- Although the headlamp on the Z1 varied between countries, the shell stayed the same satin black finished item with one large wiring hole in the rear and a small hole on top plugged with a rubber bung (for the speed warning light on the Z2-750 model and high beam warning light on the H2-750 triple).
:P

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/03/17 17:18

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1