• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
11 Mar 2007 10:46 #119230 by Grantl
Replacing plug wires? was created by Grantl
Greetings all,
I recently did some work replacing my cam cover gasket. After reassembly the beast has developed a missfire on cylinder # 2. I suspect that the plug wires are the 1981 original set and in particular the plug wire for #2 cylinder is stretched pretty tight to cover the distance from the right coil to the plug. The wire almost looks crimpped at a right angle where it exits the coil.
My question is this... When I buy new plug wires, will they just be bare wires and will need trimming to length and will require attachment to both the coil and plug ends? If so-- what prep work needs to be done to make sure the wire gets good connection at both ends?
Or do the new plug wires come all ready to attach (proper length with fittings attached)?
Thanks
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 14:40 #119258 by oldbikemike
Replied by oldbikemike on topic Replacing plug wires?
Hey Grant,
Did you say that the #2 plug came from the right hand coil because my #2 plu is hooked up to the left hand coil ,I have a kz750 1980....maybe there different.Anyway yes you have to cut back the plug wires and pull back the copper wire over the jacket and install the clips with a crimper.......I hope this helps

More
11 Mar 2007 21:24 #119385 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Replacing plug wires?
Actually you 2 on the 1000's like mine you dont need a crimper just a pliers to cut the wire and make sure you have the right thickness of wire. On the 1000 there is a screw off cap and when that comes off, there is a little collar on the wire, that is why you have to get the right thickness of wire and then when you pull off the wire you will notice a pin that is actually stabbed into the metal core of the wire and then you just screw on the spark plug caps. All of this will be true if you have factory coils, but as for Dyna coils Mike you do need a crimper to put on those brass wire ends to plug into the coils, like on my 650 and it doesn't matter which side the coils are on, as long as they are hooked up to the right primary wires and the right spark plugs, cool?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Grantl
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
12 Mar 2007 09:13 #119477 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Replacing plug wires?
Thanks for the info. Next question. At Z1 Enterprises (for my bike) they sell 7mm copper core, 7 mm suppression core and 8mm suppression core plug wire sets. If I have just the stock coils, which wire sets would be right for my ignition setup? Also... What is the difference in copper core and suppression core wires?
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
12 Mar 2007 21:07 #119682 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Replacing plug wires?
Well I am not to sure of the differences but check with Jeff, pm him or something,I am not to sure, but I would get all new wires to keep the resistance values the same for the coils.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
02 Mar 2008 22:43 #198081 by speeducky
Replied by speeducky on topic Replacing plug wires?
Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question about copper vs suppression core wires? I was looking on Z1, came across the same thing and have the same question.

I'm pretty sure that the thicker the wire doesn't necessarily mean a thicker core. It just means that you have a little more insulation to protect the core and help prevent interference and cross spark? If I'm wrong about this please let me know.

Again I haven't run into the copper vs suppression core and I'm not sure if there would be a downfall to running a suppression core on an 87 KZ1000P or if that is the wire type that should be used on this model. Help please!

here is the link to the wires on Z1: www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...=spark%20plug%20wire

More
03 Mar 2008 05:36 #198096 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Replacing plug wires?
you are looking at two wires, one is a solid core wire, ie it has several strands of wire inside the rubber cover. the other is a fiber type core like used on cars.
if its factory, then it should be a solid core wire 7mm size

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
03 Mar 2008 08:45 #198125 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Replacing plug wires?
speeducky wrote:

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question about copper vs suppression core wires?

Help please!

If you click the description for the wires from your link, it tells what the reason is for using suppression core wires; You use them if you have electronic advance or other electronic parts on your bike that may need to be shielded from the spark energy. On older bikes without electronics on them I would just use the copper core wires.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2008/03/03 11:46

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
03 Mar 2008 09:51 #198132 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Replacing plug wires?
Grantl,

I have the same bike as you (well, an M2), and these are the wires I put on mine: www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=209

You do not need the crimper if you are putting them on stock coils. From what Jeff Saunders told me, the crimper is only needed if you are plugging them into Dyna type coils where you need to mount a connector plug on the coil end.

These wires come with the plug-end connector already on. You just need to cut them to length and attach to your stock coils.

West Linn, OR

More
03 Mar 2008 11:43 #198157 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic Replacing plug wires?
I just sliced off half of my factory coil plug wires. then used wire splicers to add some fresh/cheap/generic plug wire cut off a reel in a NAPA store. Then I screwed on new hard plastic plug caps. Worked perfectly for a few years. Would probably still be running it but got a Dyna set up now. The splicers and bulk wire were a quick cheap fix and even survived serious rain soaking. I didn't see it as a permanent fix though.

www.parkeryamaha.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=17214

More
03 Mar 2008 20:43 #198259 by speeducky
Replied by speeducky on topic Replacing plug wires?
Thanks guys! I was just at my dealer today buying plugs and asked about replacement plug wires. Apparently the only thing you can get from Kawasaki is a set with the coils for $140:blink: The parts guy then asked "so, do you want to go ahead and order them?" I replied "nah, I think I'll just get a set of wires online"