dyna ignition to Gpz 1100

More
11 Mar 2007 01:42 #119150 by dwarfed
dyna ignition to Gpz 1100 was created by dwarfed
G'day from down under.
Im hoping someone on your site may be able to help me please. I have built myself a dwarf car and placed an '83 Gpz 1100 in it. I have put a dyna S type ignition in along with 3.0 OHM coils. My problem is no spark. Everything is earthed properly, I know the ignition is fine because it was running in the same motor only a month ago before being taken out of the speedway sidecar it was powering.
Is there a wiring diagram out there that maybe I could look at and trace the wires to see that I may have connected 1 wire in the wrong place perhaps when the motor was transferred ?
Or perhaps someone would be kind enough to roughly run through it ( what goes where ). So far ive found on the net
* Red wire is 12v switched power
* White wire is 2 & 3
* Black wire is 1 & 4
This is how I have wired it, but no spark :(
Thankyou for your time, I hm hoping someone may help, Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 12:50 #119245 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic dyna ignition to Gpz 1100
As you say the red wire is 12V switched power for the pickups. As for the white/black, I can´t recall the colors off the top of my head, but looking at the timing plate the left pickup should connect to the 1/4 coil and the left pickup should connect to the 2/3 coil.

Also, when installing the rotor, the magnet (the small circle you see on the side of the rotor) should point to the left when the 1/4 timing mark is pointing up.

Hope this helps you some, if not here´s a link to Dynatek´s website:

www.dynaonline.com/english/guides.htm

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
11 Mar 2007 22:47 #119403 by dwarfed
Replied by dwarfed on topic dyna ignition to Gpz 1100
Hey thanks for the info OnkelB, yes you have helped.
Is there any chance you could tell me about the coil end of things as well please (mainly how to wire the coils, 2 screws in he ends of the coils). One I figure is power (top or bottom ? as your looking at the coil with the plug lead outlets facing up)and the other an earth ??
I am lost :unsure:
Thanks for your patience.

More
12 Mar 2007 04:07 #119424 by OnkelB
No problem, only glad to help. As you say there are two screw connections on the front of the coils. One connection on each coil is for 12V power (must be switched power, very important), the others should connect to the wires coming from the pickups - the coil where you connect the wire from the left pickup will become your 1/4 coil, the other one obviously your 2/3 coil. It doesn´t matter which of the connections you use for power.

More
12 Mar 2007 04:18 #119425 by dwarfed
Thankyou, thankyou, OnkelB. That was the information I was searching for ! I will try tommorrow and let you know how I got on.

More
12 Mar 2007 04:39 #119428 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic dyna ignition to Gpz 1100
dwarfed - See our website... www.wgcarbs.com - Look in the wg's Tech Stuff Index and see the coil repowering link. There is a diagram showing how to wire the power for the coils and Dyna S. The white wire has a small green band and I guess that would be the GREEN wire meaning 2/3 cylinders. It should be coming from the right Dyna S pickup. The left is the 1/4 BLACK pickup. It also should have a small black band. These bands may not be there if the ends that attach to the coils were cut.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Mar 2007 05:10 #119437 by dwarfed
I was too excited to leave it to tommorrow, so Ive just wired the coils as you have said OnkelB and you little beauty, Ive GOT SPARK :laugh:
OnkelB you are a champion, I honestly can't tell you how grateful I am with the information you provided me, THANKS MATE for all your time and wisdom !

More
12 Mar 2007 05:18 #119439 by dwarfed
Hey wiredgeorge,
thanks also for the link, great information. All the best from down under, Doug

More
12 Mar 2007 09:09 #119476 by OnkelB
You´re welcome, glad you got it sorted. Now, how about some pics of that dwarf car?

More
14 Mar 2007 01:55 #120065 by dwarfed
Hey OnkelB, I don't want to cause any trouble to this great helpful site ( I read rules about posting pics & resizing them. All way over my head, not very computer savy ) Be happy to send you pics of my project to your Email address if your interested, that, I know how to do LOL.The car is only about 80% done though. Anyhow, leave your Email address in U2U if you like, if not, thanks again for your help, Ive now got enough spark from the plugs to finish welding up the rest of my car :laugh: , Doug