Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need to buy some spark plug wire 04 Mar 2007 18:49 #117353

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Does anyone know where I can buy non-suppression spark plug wire. I know Jeff sells it but I need it tomorrow. I'm in Florida..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need to buy some spark plug wire 04 Mar 2007 19:58 #117365

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I tried to find copper core wire in auto stores and they didn't carry it. I finally bought 6ft from Dennis Kirk for $3. Wish I could help you, hell I wish I was in Florida.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Need to buy some spark plug wire 04 Mar 2007 20:14 #117371

• Draco
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Most motorcycle stealerships sell it by the foot in the parts department, that's where I got mine.

Need to buy some spark plug wire 04 Mar 2007 21:51 #117388

• steve53
  • User
I bought some the other day at NAPA here in Alaska. It was Belkin brand, part# 734803, $.59 a foot.

Need to buy some spark plug wire 07 Mar 2007 18:43 #118235

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
steve53 wrote:

I bought some the other day at NAPA here in Alaska. It was Belkin brand, part# 734803, $.59 a foot.

I picked up 10 feet of it at NAPA lask couple weeks ago and cost me under $5.
Have enough for a long time now.

Need to buy some spark plug wire 08 Mar 2007 05:24 #118320

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Most of the autoparts stores in San Antonio used to sell plug wire off rolls. Now they mostly all sell it in "kits" precut for various models. To buy non-suppression copper wire, get an Accel wire kit for a 4 cylinder. They have those "kits" sitting in boxes. They give you two wire lengths with the plug caps already installed on each end you just cut them in the middle and then to length on the bike. They also give you the crimp connectors for the coils and the caps that go over the crimp connectors. Interstingly, they also include some bayonette splices that you can use to connect old, molded-into-the-coil wires to their wires. The only negative about he Accel wires is that they are YELLOW and they are fat. They take some work to fit them into most coils as they are almost 2mm thicker than an OEM wire. You have to whittle the insulation but they will fit.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Need to buy some spark plug wire 08 Mar 2007 07:03 #118352

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I had an LTD with the yellow wire and I thought it looked cool. The reddish clay-colored tips were good also. I had to keep the screw-on cap on the plugs.

I ended up buying copper wires, 7mm, with a twisted core for .39 per foot at Napa.

thanks to all who responded.

David

Need to buy some spark plug wire 08 Mar 2007 08:28 #118366

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Is it true that an electric starter bike needs to have a certain amount of resistance in the ignition system to make sure that the bike runs as required?

My mechanic told me there needs to be 5K ohms through the wires.. and that I shouldn't run resistorless plugs.

This true? I've got plenty of resistance in the wires..but the plugs aren't shielded. My wires are shielded too.. automotive style. The bike seems to run fine!
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Need to buy some spark plug wire 09 Mar 2007 03:38 #118586

• gpzrox
  • User
I think your mechanic was referring to the 5K ohm plug caps. They attach the wire to the spark plug, and are usually rated at 5K ohm.

If your bike runs fine, I wouldn't do anything to it.

pyxen wrote:

Is it true that an electric starter bike needs to have a certain amount of resistance in the ignition system to make sure that the bike runs as required?

My mechanic told me there needs to be 5K ohms through the wires.. and that I shouldn't run resistorless plugs.

This true? I've got plenty of resistance in the wires..but the plugs aren't shielded. My wires are shielded too.. automotive style. The bike seems to run fine!

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Need to buy some spark plug wire 09 Mar 2007 05:00 #118597

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Aight awesome, thanks!
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• Page: