Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

fuel system and battery? 03 Dec 2005 06:51 #11552

• JonQPublic
  • JonQPublic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am new to riding and a 1981 750ltd is my first bike. As I learn to ride it, I am also learning how it works.
Today, my task is to replace a simple tube that runs from below the gas tank to the battery. My question is this: why in the heck is a hose delivering gas to my battery? I have observed that it happens when the engine is having a little 'down time'.
Forgive me, I don't have a very good concept of how cars work either but I am pretty sure that my car battery is not filled with gasoline.
Have I completely misunderstood the way this system works, or have I been sucking in the fumes of the huge puddle of gas in my garage?

Kind regards,
Jon

P.S. - I don't know much about motorcycles, but I have recently come to realize that the '81 750 LTD is the most enjoyable machine that mankind has ever conceived!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

fuel system and battery? 03 Dec 2005 06:59 #11553

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
There should NOT be a hose connecting the Gas Tank to the Battery. I would think you're either seeing the vent tube from the battery which usually comes off the battery and goes down the frame and out the bottom somewhere, not attched to anything, to just vent the battery. Or it's a fuel or Vacuum line that should be connected to the carburators somewhere, depending on if it's the fuel or Vacuum.

Is your bike running? (Then you better go catch it! :laugh: ) Just kidding. I would suspect your bike doesn't run if it's either the fuel or vacuum lines.

Follow this tube you speak of and make sure both ends are attached as you describe.

Do you have a service manual for your bike for reference? If not, you should get one. Take a picture and post it up. That could help us solve the mystery.

Welcome to KZR by the way, and post up some pictures of the complete bike, here and in the Gallery section.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2005/12/03 10:09
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

fuel system and battery? 03 Dec 2005 07:43 #11557

• tganek
  • Visitor
Also... is the hose clear or black rubber? My Ltds have a clear hose for venting the battery. Which must be installed correctly or you will be cleaning corroded wires, harness, frame, battery, seat, chain guard.........
Black hoses for everything else, fuel, air,vacuum. Hopefully it's that simple.

fuel system and battery? 03 Dec 2005 08:01 #11560

• tganek
  • Visitor
Reading the post again...
If you are standing in a puddle of gas during "down time" check the fuel petcock as well. Three positions, On, Prime, Res.
If you leave the bike parked while the petcock is on prime it will drain your gas onto your floor, neighbors freshly paved drive, into mom's flower garden... Maybe this is the hose you are talking about.

I have done this a million times... but if you stand in the fumes for a while you will see pretty lights.

fuel system and battery? 03 Dec 2005 10:02 #11577

• JonQPublic
  • JonQPublic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks, and thanks for the very valuable and timely help.

rstnick hit the nail on the head - I was looking at the vent hose from the battery. I saw two loose hoses and assumed that they were supposed to be attached. I feel like an idiot:)
However, I am still trying to figure out where the other hose is supposed to attach.
Imagine looking at the gas tank from the left of the bike. directly down from the back of the tank are the carbs and just to the right of them is a black plastic container with a little 'dick' on the bottom. From this 'dick', there is a clear hose about 5 inches long. I can't seem to figure out where this is supposed to attach, but there is a lot of gasoline coming from the dick in a slow drip.
I have removed the hose in order to take it to the parts store and, in the process, also taken off a peice of the plastic protrusion that the hose fits onto. I am afraid I will have to replace whatever that plastic container is. If anyone could tell me what that plastic container thing is and explain a little about how it works, I would appreciate it. The black plastic thing also includes four tube-shaped doohickies that attach to each carb with slinky-like collars.
Also, please don't laugh too hard at my ignorance :whistle: you have to start somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Jon

fuel system and battery? 03 Dec 2005 10:22 #11581

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374

The black plastic thing also includes four tube-shaped doohickies that attach to each carb with slinky-like collars.

This is your Air Box, where your air filter sits in. There should be a cover on the top of this plastic box you can open and check/replace your Air Filter.
The "little 'dick' on the bottom" is another Vent that attaches to the top of the crankcase. There should be another 'dick' in the centre back/top of the crankcase. A black hose. shaped like an "L" and about 4 inches long, should connect between the two 'dicks/nipples' :laugh:

If you have Gas coming out of this Air Box Vent, it sounds like maybe your Fuel Valve/Petcock on the Gas Tank has been left in the Prime Position, or your Gas Valve leaks, or your carburators (any of the four) may not have the floats inside them closing off the gas flow due to misadjustment or wear.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2005/12/03 13:26
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: