Voltage Regulator/Rectifier

More
04 Mar 2007 05:52 #117212 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
Loud, I guess the fella shouldn't test the red wire disconnected but I think he should test the reg/rec in some fashion if he isn't sure what the wires are carrying.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2007 15:58 #117326 by JCGreen
Replied by JCGreen on topic Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
Ok if I dissconnect the brown wire at the harness, then the red wire on the reg/rec wont have anything to connect to. Do I reroute the red wire to connect up with the white/red on the harness, cause if I read your replies right (and I prolly dont) then I cant have the red wire on the reg/rec not connected. I apologise for seeming like a big dumby on this.. Electrical stuff apparently isnt my thing. :P If you guys cant get a goober like me to be able to get this wired right, remind me to send you both certificates for a steak dinner or something.

More
04 Mar 2007 17:43 #117340 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
wiredgeorge wrote:

Loud, I guess the fella shouldn't test the red wire disconnected but I think he should test the reg/rec in some fashion if he isn't sure what the wires are carrying.

I suppose he could hook up the red and black leads of the reg/rec to an external battery to test it. The bike's battery would power the bike, while the alternator (3 yellow wires) would charge the external battery via the reg/rec. He should see 14~15v on the external battery if it's working.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/03/04 20:51

More
04 Mar 2007 17:48 #117341 by loudhvx
JCGreen wrote:

Ok if I dissconnect the brown wire at the harness, then the red wire on the reg/rec wont have anything to connect to. Do I reroute the red wire to connect up with the white/red on the harness, cause if I read your replies right (and I prolly dont) then I cant have the red wire on the reg/rec not connected.

You seem to have it figured.

WG and I are suggesting the reroute as you described above. Ideally you should test the reg/rec (as described in my previous post) to make sure it is meant to work as we assume.

More
05 Mar 2007 04:46 #117416 by JCGreen
Ok at work today I am going to make some wire jumpers for the reg/rec to hook to the harness and I will hookd all 3 yellows to the corrisponding yellows, the black to the black and the red to the white/red and test the system. Check voltages and go from there. Still have to go pick up a new battery first the old one is A. the wrong size in deminsion for some reason, and B. just plain ole old. I will get that all hooked up test voltages and get back to you with the results. Thanks for the help so far and wish me luck ;)

More
06 Mar 2007 07:34 #117684 by JCGreen
Well I just got the new sealed battery today so I will prolly give the whole system a go this afternoon after work. I also was looking at the old reg/rec and noticed that the brown wire we were discussing is a totally different and small guage wire meant for a much smaller load. I guess it should have been obvious that the brown one was just the check wire for regulating the reg/rec on the old series. But I digress. We will find out this afternoon whats going to happen it shouldnt take me too long to get everything connected cuase Im not bolting the thing in until I test it, it was a pain to remove to begine with. I was also thinking about wireing in a bar fuse system instead of the glass fuse system that is in there now. Is this a good idea?

More
06 Mar 2007 09:14 #117724 by NormZ
Replied by NormZ on topic Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
I've had this question for a while and haven't asked, but thought it might fit in with this thread.

On my KZ1100, the Black/Yellow wires (solid black at the regulator) are generally used for ground. A continuity check with a multi meter confirms that these wires are connected to the frame and to the negative terminal of the battery. However, I don't see where (on the wiring diagram or on the bike itself) where the connection to the frame/battery is made. I have always assumed that this was made internally at the regulator. Is that correct? If that is the case then the regulator must be securely mounted to the frame or else none of the electrics will work.

Post edited by: NormZ, at: 2007/03/06 14:30

More
09 Mar 2007 11:23 #118687 by JCGreen
Ok an update. I rerouted the wires to make the red match up with the white/red going to the harness. Got everything put back together and connected and fired her up.. Now I have a question, just how hot is that reg/rec suppose to get? The plug and the wires and the reg/rec started to get VERY warm to the touch so I shut her off and posted this. Anyone have a clue? >.< I'm missing out on primo riding weather here hehe. Also just an FYI the plug and the wires were getting very hot on the old reg/rec also.

Post edited by: JCGreen, at: 2007/03/09 14:23

More
09 Mar 2007 12:04 #118694 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
JCGreen wrote:

.... I'm missing out on primo riding weather here hehe....

Do you mean to tell me, that you guys actually !!!RIDE!!! your bikes?!
I thought I was supposed to just work on it.
I will try to get mine started and back on the road again either this month or next. Will see then if it gets hot as your is doing, and then get back to you.

More
09 Mar 2007 19:14 #118816 by loudhvx
JC, were you able to get a voltage reading on the battery?

Wires getting hot can mean too much current or bad connection. How new and clean are the connections? Do you have a lot of added accessories?

More
09 Mar 2007 23:04 #118866 by JCGreen
Im gonna check voltages tomorrow. MY voltmeter is in the back of my jeep which is 3 hours away in a mechanics shop cause it broke down on me last weekend. Its a 1999 Kaw police bike so yeah there are alot of switches and wires. But the sirens is gone and so are all the special lights and what not. Im beginning to think the local police might have screwed the whole dang thing up when the yanked all their goodies out and "fixed" the wiring. I will post voltages tomorrow after I get a chance to read them but if its something as bad as needing to rewire the bike it probably wont happen. I dont have the money or the know how to do so. I will just have to trickle charge the dang thing every night. Meh maybe I will just sell the bugger to someone who has the time and know how to fix her up like she needs. Will find out tomorrow.

More
10 Mar 2007 05:39 #118886 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Voltage Regulator/Rectifier
Norm, I really am not familiar with the 1100... I also am having a hard time following your question. The black ground on the reg/rec connections to the main ground system in the wiring harness, I bet. This ultimately grounds on the engine case at the rear/right hand side on the cases. There may be an additional ground point on the chassis; generally the battery box front mount bar. If my vague explanation doesn't do the trick, start a new thread...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!