Instrument cluster bulbs

More
23 Feb 2007 10:43 #114762 by beardking
Instrument cluster bulbs was created by beardking
Hey there guru's, I have a question. I need to replace ALL of the bulbs in the center cluster on my bike (Neutral, Hi beam, etc). I have a 78 KZ750B that I traded for recently and it's in need of a lot of things. For some reason, ALL of the bulbs in the central panel are gone or broken and I have no idea where to start looking for replacements. I'd prefer to replace them with LED's so they will be brighter and suck less current.

So, anyone's suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beardking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2007 10:49 #114765 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
You can get incandescent replacements at most any auto parts store. I don't remember the bulb part number, but if you take one of your old bulbs in, the kid behind the counter should be able to fix you up. I do remember that they're pretty cheap, maybe a buck apiece.
As far as LEDs, I don't have a clue.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
23 Feb 2007 10:59 #114769 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
Ditto on the auto parts store. If your battery went low on water, it might have allowed a current spike into the system, but vibration and current take their own tolls. I think if they are like mine, they have a bayonet base, and you can get them in three or four different wattages. More watts = bighter lights, so you might want to think about that when you replace a bulb that is going to be on consistantly at night, light a high beam indicator bulb might be. I like the LED idea they don't burn out. . .if you find out anything, post it here.

More
23 Feb 2007 11:00 #114770 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
I'm in the middle of nowhere, found some bulbs that work fine at my local TrueValue. Like ltd said, around $1 each.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
23 Feb 2007 12:28 #114799 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
beardking wrote:

...I'd prefer to replace them with LED's so they will be brighter and suck less current.

So, anyone's suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Hello... I use mostly bulb size 1445 for the dash. I think I've used another size as well, but I couldn't find it...

But since you asked for suggestions... regarding the LEDs for dash lights, let me say this: Don't do it unless you remove the plastic covers or replace them with clear, or make your own custom dash. Even if you find LED replacement bulbs for that size (I think they do exist, I seem to remember them somewhere), they will be too bright at night and nearly invisible in sunlight.

I have a Kuryakin (or however you spell it) LED battery gage on my dash, and even though it dims for night, it's too bright and is mildly distracting. During the day, in direct sun, the difference between the LEDs that are on versus the ones that are off is hardly noticeable....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
23 Feb 2007 12:34 #114800 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
I agree on the LEDs. They'll be almost invisible during daylight. In order to get them to work, the dash would have to be constructed differently, and you'd have to use bright LEDs. LEDs can work in daylight if they are recessed into a deep tunnel. That way, they will be almost black when off, and will show light when on.

More
29 Mar 2007 13:03 #124668 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
Since this post was started, some of my cluster lights have gone bad. I have to replace them, and since cluster lights don't need to be visible except at night, LED's would be fine if they aren't too bright. I think existing bulbs are supposed to be 3w. Anyone have any idea if/where an LED bayonett bulb is available?

More
29 Mar 2007 14:02 #124682 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
SuperBrite LEDs makes bayonette style LEDs for 12V application.
My meter lite bulbs are replacement bulbs I got at Autozone, I think the P/N is 1445. I called SuperBrite, and asked if they could replace it, but my p/n didn't come up on their data base.
But you can download the spec info for the bulbs, and may be able to find one that fits. I didn't bother.
Here's the link:

http://www.superbrightleds.com./

If anyone can get a SuperBrite P/N that will replace the instrument/meter lites, the PLEASE post it.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
19 Nov 2007 23:31 #181827 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Instrument cluster bulbs
ltdrider wrote:

If anyone can get a SuperBrite P/N that will replace the instrument/meter lites, the PLEASE post it.

I'm reviving this thread!! :evil:

I'm still in the process of experimenting with the best color/type LEDs from superbriteleds but have some info to report on already.

The BA9s-x-WV bulbs fit in the instrument cluster without any modification what-so-ever.

The BA9s-W needed some slight sanding with 240 grit on the bottom to make it the correct height for the 'grabbers':dry: to get in there and lock properly. But, they work great!

Results so far: The wide angle bulbs suck. Too dim even at night. I even bought 11 of these thinking that they would work best. :ohmy:

The regular white one with the frosted lens is very bright. I like it a lot. I only have one of these so far so I can't use them everywhere yet. Since i have to do a return anyway, I'm going to get some extra ones to experiment a little more and see what produces the best results.

After that I plan on taking pictures so everyone can see the differences during the day and at night.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD