Oh my head, coil mod is killing me.

More
16 Feb 2007 13:48 #112944 by roadhazard
Oh my head, coil mod is killing me. was created by roadhazard
Ok ,so i swear i have the relay wired up just like in the WG diagram. I got the ground and the fused power wires with no problem. Now the question is how come there is no 12 volts out there at the red and yellow wire double female conector? What i mean is if i hook my meter up to the double connector out there at the coils ,with the switch on,it does not show 12 volts. Now if i take out the relay configiration and wire it back to stock and measure it ,it shows 12.3 volts. Put the relay back in and i got no power. It just doesn't make sense to me that there is no voltage at the double female conector when the switch is on. Especially since there IS with the stock wiring. How are the coils going to get any power from the double connector when i plug them into it? God, i need more tylenol.Or maybe beer, or tylenol and beer. I do hear a click from the relay when i turn the key on. It,s a 1977 kz650b. I,ve got the head off it right now fixing a broken off carb boot screw.Drill and tap time. Thanks,Bob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 14:34 #112954 by tellietubbie
Replied by tellietubbie on topic Oh my head, coil mod is killing me.
Try checking the relay contacts themselves,if you've got an open circuited set of contacts they'l never work.Disconnect coils/points, and use meter as ohmmeter across them. Turn on power , when it clicks,your meter should beep or whatever.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
16 Feb 2007 14:34 #112955 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Oh my head, coil mod is killing me.
Okay, I'll take a stab at this. I've done this mod on two bikes, so I have some experience with it.

If you are hearing the relay click when you turn the key and/or kill switch on, then you ARE getting power to trigger the relay.

Now use your voltmeter to see if you are getting 12v off the #87 lead. If you are, then there should be no problem. This wire goes back to power the coils.

If you aren't getting power on #87, and you are sure that you wired it correctly, then I'm guessing you have a bad relay.

West Linn, OR

More
16 Feb 2007 14:51 #112957 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Oh my head, coil mod is killing me.
roadhazard wrote:

Ok ,so i swear i have the relay wired up just like in the WG diagram....

Would you believe, almost as directed by WG.:whistle:
If you hear the relay click, then I think you are almost there. This is wrong I am sure, but it sounds, just off the top of my head like you may have it wired to the NC (normally closed) terminals.
Check continuity between the contacts, (not across the relay coil) and make sure.

More
16 Feb 2007 17:33 #113001 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic Oh my head, coil mod is killing me.
I'm betting on a bad relay, just because they click don't mean they work..

More
17 Feb 2007 09:26 #113099 by roadhazard
Replied by roadhazard on topic Oh my head, coil mod is killing me.
Yep,you guys hit it right. It was a bad relay. Don't know if it was bad to start with or if i shorted it out somehow but i got a new one and it works fine. Thanks, what a relief. Bob.