• Page:

TOPIC:

Component mounting for cafe racer? 03 Feb 2007 15:52 #109981

• whizzer
  • whizzer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi folks;
I've been fighting with the electrics on my '80 KZ750 for quite a while now and it's almost won on a few occasions! Most recently the main fuse blew while I was howling around a blind corner on a dark night. Lights out, engine died, a miracle I didn't end up stuffed in the hedge!

The bike has been begging for a full restoration for a couple of years, so I reasoned that now was as good a time as any. And while I was at it I thought I'd make a few cafe styling mods to it at the same time. Don't worry - once I get seriously underway I'll start posting in the Projects thread!

I've started to relocate the electrical box (rectifier, flasher relays, starter solenoid, fusebox) to the space in front of the battery. There's pods on the bike now so I can make use of the space the airbox used to live in, and put cut-to-shape turned steel sheets over where the side-panels used to go. It looks great, trust me!

The problem I've come across is that the anti-vibration mountings have been a nightmare to transfer. I've rigged up something that works for now but it's a real bodge job and always will be. Plus it's untidy and a nightmare to remove from the bike if I need to fix anything. Does anybody know of a workaround? Can I get solid-state flasher units? Is there another way of mounting the starter solenoid and rectifier that keeps them vibration-free? Have any of you guys had to try and overcome this? How? Ideally I'd like to have the whole lot somehow mounted on the front of the battery box so I can lift it all out in one go, or is there a better way?

Cheers guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: