Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Accel coils 12 Oct 2005 11:26 #1050

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Contemplating replacing my dyna (green) coils with two Accel coils and locating under the seat.

The Dynas didn't have to have the "core" grounded. Do the Accel "cores" have to be grounded? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Accel coils 12 Oct 2005 13:42 #1087

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I was going to say no, but then I realized that I always use the core mounting holes to bolt them to the frame.
So all I can say is that I can't think of any reason why the core would have to be grounded.
KD9JUR

Accel coils 12 Oct 2005 13:52 #1095

• Wolfman@SparksAmerica
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What accel coils do you have?? I have upgraded my bike using coils off a '90 GSXR which is an system by which the coil ground is provided by the ignition box I just grounded one side of the Primary coil to make it work on my points ignition. If the Accel coils have two connectors for the Primary side of the coil you may have to ground one of them.

Accel coils 13 Oct 2005 06:57 #1308

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Thanks for the responses so far. The coils I have are Yellow (They're Accels, DUH), cylindrical, about 3" long, 1.5" dia. Each coil has 2 primary side threaded posts on one end & 2 High tension "posts" on the side. Each coil has 2 fairly thin circular bands/straps, tightened by a nut & bolt, attaching it to a long mounting bracket. Neither coil appears to have any form of specification data either printed or stamped on it.

However, upon closer examination, the central core of each extends about 1" out each end and has a hole drilled through each end. The core appears to have a thin transluscent sheating around it, milled off flush with the end of the coil body at one end but extending approx 0.5" down the core, out from the coil body on the opposite end.

The core seems to have been "painted" black and the paint is also on the inside of the mounting holes.

Common sense might suggest that the core does not need to be grounded as the prefered mounting option appears to be by the attached bands/straps and no connection exists between the bands/straps and the core.

Hope all above helps. Thanks.

Accel coils 13 Oct 2005 07:46 #1321

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT COILS FOR YOUR APPLICATION !!!
There are two different types of Accel coils.
One is used with points and electronic ignitions and the other is used on CDI ( Capactive Discharge Ignition ) And using the wrong coil can smoke your whole ignition system!! Not good:(
Accel # 140403 is for NON CDI systems
Accel # 140404 is for CDI systems

Check them or have them check before you hook them up !!!
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Accel coils 13 Oct 2005 07:50 #1324

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Thanks for the advice Patmann. I assuming I should be using #140403 (NON-CDI) in conjunction with my Dyna S?

Accel coils 13 Oct 2005 12:23 #1398

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have some of those yeller tubs on one of my test bikes and it ONLY has two lugs. Measuring across the lugs shows 3.8 Ohms primary impedence. Those are the correct ones for use with a Dyna S. To mount those suckers (the bolt spacing is different than the frame mounts), I used longer screws and just sort of got them in at angles. I didn't have patience enough to make brackets. The Accel coils are larger than Dyna so put your plug wires on BEFORE mounting.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Accel coils 14 Oct 2005 06:31 #1644

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Thanks everyone. Checked the last night and they are indeed 140403's. Think I'm going to spot weld a couple of pieces of 0.5" square section tube across between the fram members under the seat and bolt the two coils under those. Should hopefully keep them a tad cooler than directly above the engine. I'll try to post some pictuces once I've got it done.

Thanks again.

Accel coils 14 Oct 2005 14:11 #1749

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
If you are welding on your bike... make sure you unhook your battery and remove it, same with the gas tank.
We don't want to wonder why we never heard from you again:ohmy:
Good luck, Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

• Page: