Ignition and the KZ650

More
11 Jan 2007 06:37 #104900 by Awger6r
Ignition and the KZ650 was created by Awger6r
Hi I'm new here. I just aquired my brothers KZ650 and will be working on it this winter. From the time he ran it I know he had some ignition issues.

I'd like opinions on the following. Firs I am replacing the stock points ignition with a Dyna set. Is it recommended to add new Dyna coils as well or should I distribute funds for that elsewhere?

Thank you and many questions will follow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2007 06:57 #104904 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Welcome! You are the only one that can answer your own question. If your tires are bald and the coils are good, doesn't it make sense to replace the coils IF you can only do one upgrade? Since I don't know the condition of your tires, your coils or your bank account and you do, figure out what needs done and do it.

I personally toss the ignition on any vintage bike I intend on riding. I toss the ignition, the coils and the wires/caps and spark plugs and install new stuff. I also replace the tires if they need it. This implies I have enough funds to do what is necessary to get a bike back to safe condition before riding it. If you have the funds, I would recommend replacing the entire set of ignition components and do the other things that are needed as well.

If you don't have enough money to replace the ignition and safety items (like tires, brakes, brake lines, etc) that need to be replaced, obviously the safety stuff should be a priority because if the bike dies by the side of the road, you are likely safer hoofing it than if the tire blows while riding around with a new ignition.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Jan 2007 13:57 #104987 by Awger6r
Replied by Awger6r on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Thank you for the sound advice. my bank account will dictate some items. The tires will need replaced, as well as a other items, but this is going to be a long trip to riding. Simple plan really. Start on it and go stem to stern. As money allows replace needed component. When money is out wait until available.
I do like your advice in replacing the entire ignition component.
I work in a Kawasaki dealership so I may have some resources but of late I've found vintage items hard to come by. Wish me luck.

More
11 Jan 2007 16:53 #105031 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Welcome.
Get a workshop manual for your bike and go through all the Periodic Maintenance items. You may not need much at all to get her going.
Tires would be a good investment if the present ones are over 5 years old.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Jan 2007 18:31 #105063 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Welcome to KZr Awger6r.

Since no one else has asked yet, please be sure to post some pics of your bike.
Regardless of it's condition, we just can't get enough of seeing pics of KZ's! :silly:

Please be sure to update your profile when you have a chance so that it shows where you're located, as well as what year and model KZ you have.
It can be a big help if there are other members near you willing to lend a hand if needed or getting together for a ride.
Having your bikes year and model listed helps the rest of us know what bike you have should you have any questions later on.

I almost forgot!
If you do have any questions at all about your bike, please be sure to use the Search function first. There's a good chance that whatever question(s) you have, they've been asked at least once before.
If you aren't able to find an answer to what you need through the Search function, then fire away (in the proper forums of course) with whatever question(s) you have!
We're all here to help if we can. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 Jan 2007 19:05 #105079 by Awger6r
Replied by Awger6r on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Thanks. I'll get some pics asap and make the updates as well.

More
11 Jan 2007 20:07 #105091 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Welcome, feel free to pick our brains! Better hurry tho, not much left! :woohoo:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
12 Jan 2007 06:11 #105135 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Ignition and the KZ650
Jeff at www.z1enterprises.com is a volume dealer for Dyna. When I replace ignition components, I buy a set of Dyna DC1-1 coils, a Dyna S ignition and Dyna wires/caps. I am a dealer for a wholesaler and can get coils and wires from another manufacturer but Jeff's prices are better plus the Dyna stuff fits easier.

As far as methodology on going over an older bike, I like your approach. Too many folks want to jump on and ride and bandaid problems while seemingly ignoring safety issues. The first thing to remember is that ALL fluids in the bike must be changed. Next thing is to perform a FULL tune up and maintenance and NOT assume any previous owner did ANYTHING. Last is to replace every rubber bit on the bike that can be replaced. Not only tires, but carb holders, engine seals, carb orings, everything made of rubber needs to be replaced and I think that is one of the secrets for making the bike trustworthy.

One other thing I do is to do a full test of the charging system and remove the wiring harness and go over it looking for nicks and bad wiring. I fix all problems, replace any connectors and clean (contact cleaner and dielectic grease) on all he connectors as well as the ignition switch and both switch gear internals. This process takes me about 8 hours work but ensures that I won't have electrical gremlins.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Aug 2009 19:41 #313994 by Bowl
Replied by Bowl on topic Ignition and the KZ650
I agree with replacing every seal and rubber piece also, some people dont understand you really need to completely go over every single thing on theses old Kz's. Most likey there is a reason you only paid $1000 for the bike. But trust me when your done restoring your bike, you can be rest ashured that its in working order. take pride in what you have cause there is not many left!

More
15 Aug 2009 03:43 #314025 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Ignition and the KZ650
wow one from the archives lol

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
15 Aug 2009 14:27 #314099 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition and the KZ650
fixer5000 wrote:

wow one from the archives lol

I saw a Wired George post above and thought I had time warped.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Aug 2009 18:48 #314229 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ignition and the KZ650
I thought maybe he forgave the bad comments and came back. Too bad he didn't;I for one miss his expert advice. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)