Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?

More
20 Nov 2006 10:58 #93483 by KZ1000_Rider_1955
Replied by KZ1000_Rider_1955 on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
Thanks! The only reason I ran it for 10 minutes was because of the subjective nature of the thing. Someone's idea of "hot bunsen-burner blue" could be different for someone else.

I'm going to be rebuilding my carbs and will give it another try when I'm done. Your post helps answer the big question about which one of the jets this is used for.

On another note: When using color tune, I did notice a sporadic yellow flame every now and again. Each time that flame appeared the motor would miss. That condition continues to this day, hence my decision to rebuild the carbs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2006 12:54 #93500 by spinalator
Replied by spinalator on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
I'll be the first to admit that is sounds gimmecky and I often can not get things to work that others seem to find easy, likely the side effect of being dropped on my head several times when I was still warm. :)

KZ owners are quite educated and technical so I thought I would float the subject here.

I'll email an article that might have some insight on that subject, since I archived some emails about this subject during my research. I'll see if I can dig that up at home.

More
21 Nov 2006 06:04 #93693 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
I have one and have used it on my Triumph. Works great. Very easy to use. I have not tried it on a KZ yet but will shortly. All you do is get the bike up to operating temp, put the colortune in, start it up and adjust the air/fuel mixture to get the correct blue flame. Should only take about 2 min per carb. I only paid $35 for mine brand new and just missing the little bottle of cleaning fluid (alcohol). It had evaporated over the years. There was a guy online selling a bunch of them but I got one of the last ones at that price.

Post edited by: kawtoy, at: 2006/11/21 09:06

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
28 Nov 2006 20:18 #95844 by baldtires
Replied by baldtires on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
The Colortune only adjusts the idle band of power. Yet the idle band affects throttle response and performance up to about 4500 rpm, depending on what carbs you have.

if i'am not mistaken rpm really has nothing to do with what circut of the carb is in use.4k wide open going up a grade in fifth is not the idle circuit
i believe it has more to do with throttle position than rpm

More
29 Nov 2006 07:44 #95940 by spinalator
Replied by spinalator on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
Yeah I was trying to explain that you don't pop the plug and and then rev it through all ranges of the powerband, it was only for fine tuning the idle circuit, which is more important than just idling in neutral on the sidestand, but sort of muddled my explanation.

More
05 Aug 2007 06:49 #161833 by kevineleven
Replied by kevineleven on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
I use it and love it. I got mine for about $30 from a member on a Yammy forum, and I have nothing but good things to say. I put it in my KZ yesterday, and got it running like a top in a matter of about 15 minutes. There have been some problems with the plug arcing across to the connector, but a wrap or 2 of insulating tape seems to work fine, and I understand the newer models come insulated, the manufacturer seems to have remedied it.

More
05 Aug 2007 07:45 #161840 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Who uses Colortune plug to set the carbs?
This sounds like something I could really use!:)

I don't want to side track the thread but, if anybody has one that they don't need any more let me know. Maybe I can take it your hands... at a fair price.;)

Thanks and please more testimonials, more how-to's and especially more how-not-to's.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada