Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

On my last nerve, please! 29 Oct 2006 20:21 #88448

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
  • Thank you received: 4
I tried switching to pods using the recommended pilot and main jets but couldn't get the bike to accellerate. It would barely idle and when I would crack open the throttle, it would cough and then die. I switched back to the original airbox, and problem solved. I think that the pods, with the increased surface area allow way too much air into the carb inlets. I thought about inserting shimstock or baffles inside the pods to restrict the flow of air, but just figured there were too many variations to this method to make dialing it in possible. Anyway, I am back to the original airbox now and I am happy with the way my bike runs. I hope this helps.
Grant.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On my last nerve, please! 29 Oct 2006 22:44 #88467

• kzmason
  • kzmason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I would have to find an air box as it never came with one. I run pods on my other bike and after a rejet, have had zero problems. Besides, WG is the man when it comes to these carbs, and right now the jetting sizes is the only thing I am sure of. But thanxs for the advise, all is appreciated. That is one of the most awesome things about running stock, there is no doubt about carburation settings or anything else. But, I never could leave well enough alone. B)

Post edited by: kzmason, at: 2006/10/30 01:47

On my last nerve, please! 29 Oct 2006 22:56 #88470

• Six9GS
  • User
Have you got any junk in your tank? My bike is acting up in a similar sort of way and I have been able to deduce that it is probably because I need to clean my tank out. After I put about 75 miles on a full tank of gas, it starts running in a similar yucky way that you describe your bike. As soon as I fill it up again it runs great. I have recently redone my in-line filter between the petcock and carb rail. I figure that the way it is routed or something probably is a part of my problem. I plan on re-routing the way I have the in-line filter and try to flush out the tank this upcoming weekend.
No idea, I know how frustrated you probably are. I know I have been frustrated numerous times with my bike. These bikes are rather persnickity in my opinion. However, once it's running right, they are a joy to drive. Until the next time it starts acting up.
My bike has only been on the road about three months after being off-the-road for at least six years. I figure at some point I'll have everything shaken down correctly and it won't be so darn problematic as it has thus far been.
Good Luck to you!!

On my last nerve, please! 30 Oct 2006 01:13 #88473

• rubberlips
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
hi try the idle screw again.my bike had all the symptom's your's has & i made all the same change's as you,turned the idle screw out every possible setting.i ended up with less than half a turn out it seem's very little ,but the bike is flying now never went better.i test rode it each time, i set the idle screw to the point i was getting ashamed in front of the neighbour's with the bike spluttering and jerking.i hope you dont mind me posting but it's worth a shot.

On my last nerve, please! 30 Oct 2006 16:31 #88663

• kzmason
  • kzmason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
are you saying that you have you screw only turned half a turn out or that your screws were a half a turn from being correct?

As far as junk in that tank, it doesn't look too bad in there, the petcock screen was clean, I have in line filters, and I just got a fresh tank of gas and it made no difference.

I am sorry if I sound like I am just shooting people down, I really am not trying to. I really appreciate everyones help and love all the suggestions, keep'um coming.

On my last nerve, please! 30 Oct 2006 22:02 #88763

• rubberlips
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
hi ,i have the screw's set at only half a turn out from being seated.the bike is flying, when i added the pod's i tried turning the screw's out every setting from 1 turn out to 2.5 turns out.like you i was about to give up,when i tried half a turn out and its perfect setting on my bike.i had the bike out yesterday for a good long run it's going great.so wind them in till there seated and then just half a turn out.i hope it work's for you.

On my last nerve, please! 30 Oct 2006 22:14 #88767

• Six9GS
  • User
kzmason wrote:

are you saying that you have you screw only turned half a turn out or that your screws were a half a turn from being correct?

As far as junk in that tank, it doesn't look too bad in there, the petcock screen was clean, I have in line filters, and I just got a fresh tank of gas and it made no difference.

I am sorry if I sound like I am just shooting people down, I really am not trying to. I really appreciate everyones help and love all the suggestions, keep'um coming.

Not to worry, I don't feel 'shot down'. After a methodical troubleshooting, such as you have done. It becomes a real quandry trying to figure it out. My suggestion and the other ones are just ideals to look at that our experience on knowledge lend as possibilities. We are just trying to share our experience in the hope it might help. The same as we hope others will share their experience if we are having problems we can't seem to solve.
Eventually, the culprit will be discovered and your bike will be toolin' down the road. One of the best things I do, when I'm out of ideas and just don't know, is to walk away from it for awhile. My brain, subconsciencly (spelling?) will ponder on the problem and I often get other ideals and possible faults and solutions to problems.
Once again good luck, we are all trying to cheer you on!!!:) :) :) :)

On my last nerve, please! 04 Nov 2006 16:09 #89705

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Have you noticed if it runs any better with or without the choke.Can you tell if it wants more or less fuel?You could try blocking air flow with tape around the air filters to simulate less air(richer) ,add 1 rap,then 2,and see if you can make it run better as a test.Then try no pods to see if whants to run leaner.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

On my last nerve, please! 04 Nov 2006 18:06 #89719

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If it's not smoking and it runs ok from 0-1/4 throttle and stumbles and pops when you try to get on it... go up one on the main jets.

If it's not smoking and it stumbles on 0-1/4 throttle and kinda tries to kick in when you really get on it... go up one on the pilot jets.

(this is just a way to get in the ball park)

Every bike is unique... you gotta keep messing with it till you get it right. Don't give up. Trust me I've got a jar full of jets and about a months worth of frustration.

Mine(KZ1000) was a combination of the above and bad intake manifolds... but now I know my bike and the dang thing runs like a scalded ape. Hang in there.;)

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/11/05 00:05

On my last nerve, please! 05 Nov 2006 01:05 #89755

• justed
  • User
i'm no expert, but, i do know that if you do something to one end of the engine you also have to do it to the other. you can't run pods with a stock exhaust. you can't run a more open exhaust with the restrictions of a stock air box. from the factory; intake, jetting and exhaust are balanced(to a certain extent i'm sure some would argue) changing one of those things throws the whole system out of whack. in the search for more power we add more fuel, more air and end up with more exhaust(to put it in laymans terms)that has to find it's way out. which equals to fiddling with the jets and mixture adjustments to find the balanced "sweet spot" i just did this on my 01 xr650l enduro, but it only has one carb.

i have a 77 kz650, recently re-aquired, kerker 4 to 1, and pods. it was the first bike i owned and i rode the hell out of it. it was as fast as my brother's 78 cb750-4k which had a 4-1, rejetted, and opened up air box also the dude i sold my kz to years ago had let it sit for the last 8yrs. knowing more now than i did then, i'll be tearing the carbs down for a rebuild. is there a standard or "canned" response or general recipie on this site for the kz650 as far as jetting, intake and exhausts are concerned?, 77-78 (my title says 77 but the neck says 78) should i post this question somewhere else?
thanks,
the newbie-

P.S. uhhh, just read the "read before you post" which obviously i didn't.
thanks
Post edited by: justed, at: 2006/11/05 04:08

Post edited by: justed, at: 2006/11/05 12:01

• Page: