Float Height Detective

More
25 Apr 2023 15:56 #883748 by Kubik
Replied by Kubik on topic Float Height Detective
Not entirely sure that’s all correct. Will test and report. Until then, here are pics of the procedure.
1. Pic of float valve seat.
2. M6 tap next to  float valve seat
3. Once threaded, screw in an M6 bolt and pull the valve seat out
4. View of threads in valve seat

Once everything cleaned out under there (and it was dirty) grease it lightly and tap it back into place.

So far, the needle valve does move freely up and down. The tap does not actually thread all the way to the bottom, just part way down the sides. Will test and report.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2023 16:04 #883751 by Kubik
Turns out that’s EXACTLY what it was! Two floats were installed upside down. By me. Pic shows the situation.
- Carbs with correct floats are indicated by red screwdriver.
- Carbs with upside down floats are indicated by black&yellow screwdriver.  

I reinstalled the floats correctly, and the carbs now flow exactly as they should. The fuel level check even shows correct fuel levels.

Such as small error making so much difference. Live & learn.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
25 Apr 2023 16:08 #883752 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Float Height Detective
You might want to gently "pin punch" where the seat meets the carb body when back in ( especially given you have used lubricant to install the seat) I know old Audi's used to suffer with the seats in their pierburg carbs "creeping" out which then reduced the float height and caused fuel starvation issues (IMHO)

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Apr 2023 16:11 #883753 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Float Height Detective
Kubik, dude, those carbs are seriously damaged now.  Maybe junk.  You can't do that to the seats.  The threading inside will affect the needles ability to move up and down smoothly, and thus the level of fuel in the float bowl.  

You need a new set of seats now, and since they are pressed into the carbs, that's no easy feat.  Can you harvest the seats from your old carbs?  And when doing so, you will have to carefully cut the carb body and extract the seat that way.  I may have some spare bodies that are otherwise trashed.  They are the stock CV34's, though.  

BTW, the way to remove stuck slides is by applying heat, which softens the varnish.  Now, if the carbs are corroded all to hell, that's a different matter.

More
25 Apr 2023 16:32 #883755 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Float Height Detective
When threading the seat you displaced metal. I can’t see anyway the float needle will even fit. Did you wet clear tube the float heights?

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
26 Apr 2023 05:45 #883780 by Kubik
Will do, thx!