Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 01:40 #845508

• KoreanKZ
  • KoreanKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
So  i have a 1978 KZ650D and its been sitting for a while. it pops on decel, knock/ping on idle once in a while. the bike ran great after i got it running for a few rides but suddenly today, it kept dying on me and misfires after i came back from eating at a restaurant. it had a bit misfire on idle but bike had plenty of power before eating. there also seems to be a slight gasoline leak near the petcock which i found out that the previous owner had installed a Pingel Power Flo (dunno why you would spend so much money on a petcock...) but the leak was there before it ran bad so im not sure if thats the problem causing it. it sounds as though the bike is running on 3 cylinders??? anyway, if anyone knows what a normal rebuild or cleaning of the carbs should be, please let me know! and if you have anyone in the Las Vegas area who knows how to work on these bikes, let me know on that also! thank you!

Ps. 
I'm also looking to see if anyone can tell me what replacement petcock i can use for this bike. thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 05:27 #845513

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
A friend that does lots of carbs told me he charges $250 + parts.  I asked him because I was asked to clean a couple of sets from someone on the GS site and I didn't know what to charge.  

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 06:20 #845518

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 370
Honestly the hardest part to cleaning carbs is getting them off and on. The actual cleaning is pretty straightforward. Plenty of resources available on this site to get it done. 
You can get upside down pretty fast paying for stuff you can do yourself. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 06:47 #845520

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

KoreanKZ post=845508"So  i have a 1978 KZ650D and its been sitting for a while. ..."

Drain the tank, drain the float bowls.  Check/clean/replace the fuel filters, install inline filter(s) if there are none.  Fresh fuel.
Report back.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 08:13 #845528

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Yeah, I'm with you guys on this, fresh gas and a splash of Heet for starters,  87 octane not the high test stuff.
Maybe a new set of spark plugs that you can check before spending a bunch of time and  money on a carb job
Clean and check the points while you're at it.

The original petcock for that bike had a vacuum shut off, if it has the original carbs on it now there should be a nipple somewhere on the carbs that is plugged , that would be the nipple for the  vacuum line to the petcock. 
I use the original petcock on my 78, it works fine and I don't worry about having to shut off the gas or a sticky float causing a puddle of gas on my garage floor.
They are available used on ebay from time to time and the rebuild kits are also available. 

78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 12:21 #845534

• KoreanKZ
  • User
the bike came with a fuel filter inline and i thought about replacing it with a newer one. as for the draining the bowl, is the picture i posted here the procedure you are talking about? and also, the bike seems to wanna die when i blip the throttle a bit fast. i did cycle through couple tanks of gas before it started to act up but will drain and do it again. also what size if the fuel line that goes to the filter? is it s 1/4 inch?
Attachments:

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 12:22 #845535

• KoreanKZ
  • User
yeah as i mentioned before, it beats me to see someone spending $150 ball park just for a petcock. id rather have the vacuum activated one and just not worry about it. is there a benefit to the Pingel brand that i have currently installed?

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 17:02 #845555

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
The vacuum petcocks will leak fuel into the crankcase when they fail. This can lead to catastrophic damage if the rider tries to start the engine. If the sealing surfaces of the vacuum model are sufficiently pitted, rebuilding will not fix it.

A manual valve, like the Pingel, can last the life of the bike. They almost never leak and are really simple to use.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 17:25 #845556

• Mc Tavish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Surely that Pingel cock just needs a new o ring/seal?
1978 z650C

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 26 Mar 2021 18:39 #845558

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Pringle is good.  You just have to remember to turn it OFF each time you park the bike otherwise it will flow fuel to the float valves and might overpower them while the bike is parked.

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 27 Mar 2021 19:02 #845636

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 361
I agree that the pringle is a good item andd does appear to need an o-ring or gasket.  Yes just the earlier manual petcock it does need turned off. 

I want to make sure that if you are going to rebuild the vacuum one on the bike make sure you get the right parts.  There are differences between some of them. See below for some pics of them. If you are going to open it up make sure you get the correct parts to rebuild it as they do not mix correctly.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:

Normal Cost To Rebuild/Clean Carbs? 27 Mar 2021 19:57 #845638

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
There are tons of variations in OEM petcocks and many, if not post, aftermarket rebuild kits have the wrong parts.  If you can get the proper parts, preferably OEM, and the petcock casting isn't corroded, then you have a good chance at success with rebuilding the original.  I did just that, with OEM parts, for the petcock on my 750 and it turned out great.  I got lucky though because one of the parts inside wasn't available anymore but the original in my petcock was still okay.  For the most part it doesn't pay to mess around though.  

• Page: