Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 VM22 carb sync question. Do you use the air mix or the adjusters? 03 Mar 2021 06:24 #844362

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
When posting with photos please hit the "insert all" button before posting so the photos will show up properly instead in tiny thumbnails.

Your valve clearances are near the bottom of the range. As mentioned, the clearance goes down with mileage so you may as well bump up the ones you can while you are doing all this work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 VM22 carb sync question. Do you use the air mix or the adjusters? 06 Mar 2021 19:01 #844500

• johnmull
  • johnmull's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
More adjustments. My carb4 float was stuck open and leaking out when on "prime" gravity mode. I tubed it back in to my gas can so I could do more testing and not be bothered by it. I pulled the carbs, took each float and on the upper left side, they sometimes hang on the walls. I lightly sanded the edges of the floats where before they had sharp edges. They don't stick now.

Replaced the main jets #90 back to #97.5. My kit has a 100.5 and 102.5 also. The throttle was bogging down using #90.

Changed the fuel mix to 2 turns out on all carbs. I was was lean on 1,3,4 and perfect blue color on cyl2 using 1 3/4. Easier for me to see the testing at dusk and using the shadow tube provided. I had backfires on cyl1 and cyl4 at times.

After a couple warm ups different days, idle settled down better. First time cyl3 was missing. Second time next day, things cleared up. Throttle twisting didn't bog down. Neighbors are probably hating me for making loud engine noises.

Plug checking, I got dark black carbon on cyl4. Cyl4 float was fixed so that wasn't the reason for carbon. From white to medium dark on plugs 1,2,3. cyl1 still back firing some initially on warmups. I didn't redo the Gunson tests this time.

Ran out of time to try a ride but I backed off cyl4 the darkest by 1/8 and increased the turn outs on cyl1 by 1/8. Cyl1 with the backfiring and the neg electrode was white across the entire top. Plugs cleaned and see if it settles down. I'm glad to see darker plugs, smoother idle. If the plugs look better, I will redo the Gunson tests.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.