Changing diaphragms

More
30 Jan 2021 16:22 #842702 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Changing diaphragms

Nessism wrote:

daveo wrote:

What is the sale value of my pictured set?

No disrespect Dave but those diaphgram's look kind of thrashed with the distortion and waviness. I suspect they would run fine for some time but they are not in what I'd call optimum condition. And that sealed over hole is a little questionable. It's hard to assign a value. Personally, I'd put the set at $50, but there are guys asking $50 each for slides on ebay so who knows?

Thankfully, this is not a "wish I still had that" moment that happens way too often. :blink:

Seems a good value for the set...plus shipping, of course.

Never found a convincing answer why the slides came with that hole in the side. A retired KZP service tech once suggested the purpose was to make slide movement (engine operation) smoother.
Those plugs could be easily removed to revert them. I'll likely post an ebay ad like Kawasaki KZ1000P BS34 Carburetor Slide Set, and see what happens.

That wavy rubber did not affect performance that I can remember. All had similar return suction feel when installed in the carbs and depressed by hand.
Image with slide diaphragms flipped over:

:cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2021 02:00 #842954 by MartyZ1000
Replied by MartyZ1000 on topic Changing diaphragms
Thanks and interesting sollution there, I´m getting my new ones any day and will see how they seem to fit

Got them from the UK and they don´t say what brand so we´ll see..

But I just tested the ones I´ve got and realized they´re still tight so will wait with trashing anything until it´s necessary.

Nessism wrote: Here is a thread from a couple months ago on this same topic... www.kzrider.com/forum/forum-index/3-carb...iaphragm-replacement

There are various other threads in the archives as well if you feel like searching.

The stock diaphragm is sandwiched between two plastic retainer pieces, then a lip on the top of the slide is roll formed over the top which captures the assembly. To remove the old diaphragms you either need to remove the roll formed lip or destroy the plastic retainers.

JMB diaphragms have a decent reputation but are expensive. I've never tried them. I ordered some diaphragm's from china, as shown in the linked thread, but in the end they didn't fit properly into the groove in the carb body with my BS34's.

To fix my slides I harvested good diaphragm's from some Suzuki GS slides and transplanted them onto the KZ slide bodies using the method shown in my thread. They turned out beautifully but it was a lot of work and of course, you need a lathe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.