Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 04 Oct 2020 13:55 #836153

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
I got the calipers out and it seems to be M6 x 0.75. That sound about right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 04 Oct 2020 17:36 #836176

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670

calum wrote: I got the calipers out and it seems to be M6 x 0.75. That sound about right?

No. It's not .75. I'll check the garage and look for the tap I bought. I want to say it's .5.

Edit: I was wrong. It's 6mm x .75. Mikuni BS carbs are 6mm x .5 thread. I mixed them up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Last edit: by Nessism.

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 23 Oct 2020 05:33 #837537

• calum
  • User
Now I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Attachments:

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 28 Oct 2020 14:36 #837896

• calum
  • User
I rebuilt a (thoroughly cleaned) second set of carbs with the kit. The main jet nozzles and the pilot screws were too big. It wasn't the threads on the pilot screws, the bottom section was too large for the hole in the carb body. Same deal with the nozzle, the nozzle section that is usually a press fit with the carb body was way too tight.

Here are the sections I'm talking about:

Attachment main jet nozzle.jpg not found

Attachment idle screw.jpg not found

All the rest of the parts were fine and the float needles made it through the initial test (setting the float height). I got the carbs on the bike, vacuum synced them and set the idle.
Hoping for some fine weather tomorrow so I can get the bike out for a proper test.
Attachments:

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 28 Oct 2020 14:51 #837898

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93

calum wrote: I rebuilt a (thoroughly cleaned) second set of carbs with the kit. The main jet nozzles and the pilot screws were too big. It wasn't the threads on the pilot screws, the bottom section was too large for the hole in the carb body. Same deal with the nozzle, the nozzle section that is usually a press fit with the carb body was way too tight.

Here are the sections I'm talking about:

All the rest of the parts were fine and the float needles made it through the initial test (setting the float height). I got the carbs on the bike, vacuum synced them and set the idle.
Hoping for some fine weather tomorrow so I can get the bike out for a proper test.

I had the same issue with the pilot screws, but the main jet nozzles were alright for me. They were tighter, but could still be pushed in and removed without much trouble.

I measured the pilot screws (at the end as you indicated, where they bind), and the stock ones measured ~3.00-3.04mm, and the ones from this kit measured ~3.07-3.20mm. The lower sizes (closer to 3.10) were usable, but the 3.20mm pilot screw had no chance of fitting.

I think these parts are generally pretty good, but the tolerances just aren't as tight as they need to be.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 28 Oct 2020 14:54 #837900

• calum
  • User
Yeah, overall a pretty good kit - can't beat it for the price!
There was no way the nozzles were going in on my set - sanded one down a bit and tried some encouragement with a drift and a hammer, but it wasn't going in without damaging the end.

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 28 Oct 2020 23:54 #837915

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93

calum wrote: Yeah, overall a pretty good kit - can't beat it for the price!
There was no way the nozzles were going in on my set - sanded one down a bit and tried some encouragement with a drift and a hammer, but it wasn't going in without damaging the end.

You got me thinking - I went out and looked at the remainder of my kit. I didn't fit the nozzles, I'd just forgotten. I don't think they fit either, same as you. So I ended up using most of the parts in the kit except for the nozzles and some of the pilot screws (my pilot screws were in a bad way, one needed to be removed with a bolt extractor).
1981 KZ750 LTD

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 29 Oct 2020 07:27 #837936

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
If those parts are so inaccurately machined, I wonder how accurate the jet orifices are.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, calum

Keihin CV34 Repair Kits 29 Oct 2020 08:29 #837939

• calum
  • User
I got out for a test today and the bike ran smoothly through the entire rev range for the first time since the rebuild. Seems like the other parts are accurate enough ;)

I imagine the jet orifices are a lot more uniform than the outer surfaces - given that they are basically just drilled holes. I'm not sure how close to the given sizes they are but I'll be putting a third set of carbs together soon and will have this set back off the bike, I'll see if I can get hold of some gauges to check the jet size against the stock jets in my first set of carbs.

For now the bike is running fine so I'm going to call that a win :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, undiablo

• Page: