Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 09:31 #811990

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
Hey guys,

Weird issue here with some VM24 carbs. I have a 79' 650 with pods (foam style, no inner lip) and a 4-1 header. I bought some VM24 carbs on ebay for it that were said to have sat on a shelf after the owner upgraded, and i believe it, they were pretty clean besides some corosion. I did a quick vinegar ultrasonic clean on them and then washed them out with water then gasoline... point is they are pretty immaculate. They have also been synced.

Problem is that they are running way richer at/below 1/4 throttle than they should be when they all have 15 pilots at 2 turns out (which should defintely be a bit lean for my setup). On one carb my AEM AFR gauge is pegging 10 (lowest it reads) with any throttle input over 0 up to 1/4 (above that is fine because thats into the needle/main jet). At idle it's at 12ish AFR. On another carb it only goes to 10.3 or so afr with throttle and 13 at idle. So basically i'm getting the exact inverse of the typical 1/4 throttle lean spot that we see with pods.

Seems to me that my carb bodies are damaged? The only thing i can think of is the vinegar ultrasonic clean, but they were only in there for 10 min. Also, the chokes are all the way down and the rubber seal at the bottom of the plunger looks fine, just a little imprint from the seat.

Thoughts?

Edit:
-I set the fuel levels in the bowls on all the carbs as well. 3mm +/- whatever from the bottom of the lip carb body.
-It has 1.75 CA throttle slides.
-No pumpers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Saablord.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 11:52 #812000

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 360
It sounds like you know what you are doing, so I am not questioning you. Things I might suggest to take a look at: fuel level in bowls, turn out the air screws further that 2 turns, install smaller pilot jets. what is the cutaway on the slide as it plays a part in the throttle range you are having an issue with.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 12:37 #812003

• Saablord
  • User

It sounds like you know what you are doing, so I am not questioning you.

Dont make me blush! :laugh:

Thanks for reminding me:
-I set the fuel levels in the bowls on all the carbs as well. 3mm +/- whatever from the bottom of the lip carb body.
-It has 1.75 CA throttle slides.

I have some 12.5 pilots from the old VM22 carbs somewhere. that was my next step, even though i don't know why it's necessary.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 13:00 #812005

• gd4now
  • User
Ok the fuel level sounds good. To the best of my knowledge all the vm24 carbs that came stock on (K)Z650 that had 1.75 cutaway slide came with accelerator pumps. Do these carbs have one? If so then make sure it is not pumping fuel before it is intended to.

I have not researched the size of pilot air jets used on the different carb sets as they are pressed fit and not threaded for removal or replacement like some of the larger carb have. Maybe smaller ones were used in the carbs with 1.75 cutaways
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

Last edit: by gd4now.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 15:27 #812016

• Saablord
  • User
Ah dang it, forgot that too. Pumps were deleted by previous owner. I finished the delete by putting on some VM22 carb bowls and tapping the pumper pathway (that goes into the airstream) to install some little grub screw plugs.

Only other odd thing was a bunch of air sneaking past the slides during the sync. Normally the AFR doesnt change much during a sync compared to with the carb tops on. With these, the AFRs were all over the place when doing the sync. Had to tweak the sync screws then put the carb tops on and then check the sync :huh: Hope the throttle linkage seals stay good :S

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 18:58 #812040

• gd4now
  • User
I hear you about the air around the slides, but you are rich not lean. Where did you plug the accelerator pipe at. In the carb throat on the bowl side? Make sure there is no fuel getting by at that location.

Keep in mind that you have not only altered the air intake and exhaust, but also the carbs. Do these carbs have adjustable needles or do they only have a single slot on them? Some not all of the accelerator carbs came with needles that were not adjustable.

At this point I would try turning the air screws out farther. In general a rule of thumb is if the air screw is less than one turn out you need a larger pilot jet. If it is more than 3 turns out you need a smaller pilot jet. Please understand that is a general rule of thumb, not some absolute.

If that does not solve the issue I would then raise the needle by going down one slot. If the needle only has one slot then the use a a washer the thickness of the slot needs to be added below the clip.

I should of asked before what sort of AFR meter are you using. Also there should be a stamp just below the choke lever to indicate the carb set.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

Attachments:

Last edit: by gd4now.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 20:04 #812043

• Saablord
  • User

. I hear you about the air around the slides, but you are rich not lean.

Yes, true, it was just another thing pointing towards funky carbs.

Where did you plug the accelerator pipe at. In the carb throat on the bowl side?

See attached picture. The grub screw is epoxied in

. Do these carbs have adjustable needles or do they only have a single slot on them?

They are adjustable and I do have them in position #4, so richer.

At this point I would try turning the air screws out farther

I would agree except AFRs are ok at idle.

If that does not solve the issue I would then raise the needle by going down one slot.

Wouldn't this make the issue worse?

I should of asked before what sort of AFR meter are you using.

Brand new aem uego

Also there should be a stamp just below the choke lever to indicate the carb set.

I see:

I also took a video down a carb while running photos.app.goo.gl/r7f3CekND6ocSZYT7

Looks like a ton of fuel is coming out of the pilot hole on the little throttle blips. I don't know what it normally should look like though.

Edit:
I didn't say it before, thanks for stepping through this with me!

Ive watched my carb video a few more times. Looks like the fuel is coming from further in past the slide, which would have to be the choke? The pilot circuit comes out just past the main jet, but still "within" the slide, right?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Saablord. Reason: Thanks

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 20:40 #812045

• gd4now
  • User
As your raise the needle it makes for leaner mix. Are you using the needles that were in the vm24s or the vm22s? It is my understanding that the needle used in the 1208 set (5CL30) were non adjustable while the needles used on the vm22s (5CL10-4) were adjustable.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 20:50 #812046

• Saablord
  • User
Do you mean raise the needle ( a lower clip position ie #4) , or raise the clip ( a higher clip position)?

I'm confused as raising the needle (same as would be done when opening the throttle) definitely allows more fuel through due to the difference in diameter between the needle jet and jet needle.

As for the needles themselves, they are whatever came with the carbs, so the previous owner could have swapped them.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 07 Oct 2019 21:03 #812047

• gd4now
  • User
I did not word it correctly lower the needle by raising the clip.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 08 Oct 2019 13:33 #812070

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I agree with gd4now. 1/4 throttle is going to be more about the needle position than anything else. The jets have some effect, but the needle is what you want to work on.

VM24 w/ pods rich idle issue. 10 Oct 2019 18:58 #812219

• gd4now
  • User
Please let us know that you find the solution to the issue that works for you. We all could stand to learn form it.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z