Replacing float bowl gaskets ?

More
27 Mar 2018 18:54 #780914 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Replacing float bowl gaskets ?
My 1982 KZ1100 has been an elixir of youth for this old man. The wife (3 years wiser) and I still zip off to the beach several times in the Summer...

You will feel a lot younger once the bike is perfectly tuned. Just take it easy starting out...then "ride the piss out of it"!

Famous quote by SWest

:)

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: perrykz1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2018 19:39 - 27 Mar 2018 20:23 #780915 by daveo

ajsfirehawk wrote: I stumbled across the t-shirt that said "I am the warranty" and I believe it was on this site. Hilarious and true.

Color me as cynical as Daveo. I've met as many poor mechanics as good ones. 50/50 odds of getting good work isn't good enough for me.

Perry, the hardest part about working on carbs in wrestling the darned things out of the airbox boots. The rest is just a clean and organized work space. Putting a hair dryer on warm in the airbox intake makes it suck a little less as it softens up the boots considerably.

With regard to air box boots, I'm extremely happy with this type:

Sorry guys, looking at old pics is getting me excited about riding!

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2018 20:23 by daveo.

• perrykz1000
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Have a safe day !!
More
28 Mar 2018 13:30 #780939 by perrykz1000
Replied by perrykz1000 on topic Replacing float bowl gaskets ?
So my stock air box if i had it looks like yours with the chrome side peices? And does this have the silencer too?

More
28 Mar 2018 20:54 - 28 Mar 2018 21:09 #780952 by daveo

perrykz1000 wrote: So my stock air box if i had it looks like yours with the chrome side peices? And does this have the silencer too?

You talk'n to me...?

Lol

To address your question, I don't think so. My old bike is a 1982 KZ1100A-2, which has the early J-model engine with shaft-drive. This bike came with Mikuni BS34 CV carburetors, similar if not the same as early 80's KZ1000J and KZ1000 Police bikes of the era. The J-engine had something like twenty years riding for police departments around the country, sharing many engine components with the others, which just happens to be great when needing replacement original parts.

Yea, this old bike has been run through several subtle mod modes since I stripped off the Vetter stuff...immediately after I brought her home in 2000. I sensed there was something worth looking at under all that awkward mass of tubes and awkward boxes.
Can't say all bad about the Vetter package though...to each his own. I wouldn't mind having the Windjammer fairing with lowers (matching red), but that's it.

Perry, your bike is an earlier and entirely different animal (beast). I know little about that vintage, but it's ok because there are lots of very smart rookies prowling this site.
Have fun, get excited. But do hold off on the wheelies.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 28 Mar 2018 21:09 by daveo.

More
06 Apr 2018 02:16 #781346 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Replacing float bowl gaskets ?
I have had the bowls off my z1000 a1 it does have vm 29 s on it but with the carbs on the bike I pulled off the bowls removed needle and seats cleaned them put back to gather adjusted and set float height with clear tube method.
It’s fiddly but do able, for me it also helped to remove starter motor cove (covered with plastic tho) made it easier to get one screw out.

More
16 Apr 2018 10:59 - 16 Apr 2018 11:26 #781902 by 1slammedkz650
Replied by 1slammedkz650 on topic Replacing float bowl gaskets ?
I'm not familiar with the kz1000 however I had the tank off my gpz 550 once (well more than once ; 0 ) and the last time I had it off I somehow routed the gas line wrong.

I initially thought it was a leaking gasket also ,Then I looked a little closer and the gas line was pushing on the t fitting causing gas to leak.I rerouted the gas hose and the problem was solved .

The hose was not the original flexible one .It was that stiff gas hose you can pick up at any auto parts store ,had it been the nice flexible hose I may not have had that problem

edit.If I remember correctly I didn't route the hose improperly .The hose I cut was too long causing it to push on the t fitting ,causing it to leak.Either way the the t fitting having pressur on it was the source of the problem
Last edit: 16 Apr 2018 11:26 by 1slammedkz650.