KZ440 Float Bowls not filling after rebuild

• jimbrickland
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Dec 2017 19:48 #776269 by jimbrickland
Replied by jimbrickland on topic KZ440 Float Bowls not filling after rebuild
TexasKZ, thanks for those thoughts. I can address some of those I think. When I opened the carbs to clean them there was some damage to some of the jets, The brass had gotten brittle and some of them had chipped and and broken. There were also some parts missing that needed to be replaced. The previous owner had put some pod style filter on there. So in an attempt to get the bike back closer to factory spec, which I figured would allow me a good baseline to start tuning after I bought the clymer manual, I bought the rebuild kits. I got them from Old Bike Barn and they seemed to be pretty comprehensive and of decent quality.

The petcock seems to be working properly, or if was as of a few weeks ago when I took it off the bike and pulled the carbs in preparation for the rebuild kits to arrive. I don't have any fuel filters inline with the petcock or anything like that. I will check to make sure nothing it kinked or obstructed tomorrow when I have some day light. I thought it was strange that there was fuel in the main fuel line but not in the float bowls with the petcock open. I do appreciate your expertise. I try to remind myself that this is fun even when it is frustrating. Thanks for your help.

PS - An oil change is on the list of things to do however, I figured I should do the change after I can be certain there isn't going to be fuel leaking into the oil. Unless I should do it sooner, I know filters and oil are relatively cheap in the scheme of things. Thanks again.

1976 KZ750B my one and only
1983 KZ440 LTD my one and only's one and only

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2017 06:43 - 18 Dec 2017 06:44 #776291 by JR

I thought it was strange that there was fuel in the main fuel line but not in the float bowls with the petcock open.

Is it possible when you assembled the carbs you put the floats back in upside down ? On some carbs this may raise the needle valve and prevent fuel entering the bowl.

Regarding the brass it sounds like the previous owner was pretty ham fisted so who knows what else he did.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 06:44 by JR.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Dec 2017 06:45 - 18 Dec 2017 07:00 #776292 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ440 Float Bowls not filling after rebuild

jimbrickland wrote: There is fuel in the tank. The petcock seems to be working when switched from "On" to "Pri" fuel flows . The main fuel line has fuel after disconnecting from the tank. The pilot or primary fuel line seems to be dry. Do I need to leave the petcock in a certain position to refill the bowls after reinstalling them? I cannot find any leaks. But its getting pretty dark outside where I am working at the moment. Thanks for your help, Togoster.

The PRI position is for refilling the carbs when they are dry. However, if there is fuel in the fuel line and the bowls are dry, then there must be an obsrtuction after the hose. The T could be blocked or the floats could be improperly installed so that the valves cannot open. Did you check the fuel level in the carbs before installing them?
By primary line, are you referring to the vacuum line that connects to a vacuum port on one of the carbs? If so, it is supposed to be dry. Fuel there is a bad thing.
Do you have a factory service manual for this model? If not, I'd recommend getting one.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 07:00 by TexasKZ.

• jimbrickland
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Dec 2017 06:51 #776293 by jimbrickland
It seems like I will be getting some good practice wedging these carbs in and out of the frame. So this morning I pulled the gas tank and was able to blow air, unobstructed through the primary line but not the main fuel line. I am thinking there maybe a kink in the rubber as it is routed back through the carb assembly. Also JR has made me paranoid that my floats are upside down. That seems like a real possibility but I can't remember exactly. Here is to hoping it was my dumb luck and nothing serious.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Dec 2017 06:56 - 18 Dec 2017 06:57 #776294 by TexasKZ
You can test the fuel line easily. Just disconnect it from the carbs, leaving it connected to the petcock. Turn the petcock to Prime. If the fuel flows freely, the hose is likely ok. Also check carefully for kinks when it is installed. Yes, have a jar or can handy to catch the fuel during this test.

Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 06:57 by TexasKZ.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Dec 2017 06:58 #776295 by TexasKZ
Clearly, JR types faster than I do :whistle:

More
18 Dec 2017 07:22 #776296 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ440 Float Bowls not filling after rebuild
Here are links to some good info including free downloadable 1982 KZ440 LTD service manual, much of which probably also applies to the 1983 model.
www.kz400.com/
www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html

May also go to KZr's HOME page, and under SERVICE MANUALS, click on "KZ440" (last in the list) to download the 1980/1981/1982 KZ440 service manual. Requires a short time to complete the download.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimbrickland

• jimbrickland
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Dec 2017 16:54 #776314 by jimbrickland
I am here to thank you all and eat some humble pie. JR wins the prize for sight unseen diagnosis. They should really put some arrows on those floats. After they were flipped around the right way the bowls filled perfectly. The leak from the exhaust pipe is gone so I guess I scored a point for the noobie home mechanics. Now I just need a little bit of fuel/air and idle adjustment and I think I can call it road worthy,. Thanks again. I will be back, no doubt.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

More
18 Dec 2017 17:59 #776320 by JR
If it wasnt for mistakes we made most of us here would never have learned anythibg and trust me I have done much worse than that :whistle: .

Thanks for letting us know. It will help someone else

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• jimbrickland
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 09:12 #776339 by jimbrickland
Hello again! Got the bike's oil changed and ran it down the road to the gas station feels good through the whole throttle range. However, it stumbled and ran out of gas unless I left it in the Prime position on the petcock. From what I have read it is probably an issue with the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock. I can service it with a kit or replace the whole petcock but in the mean time aside from running out of reserve fuel is there any harm in riding the bike in prime position?

More
19 Dec 2017 09:47 #776340 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic KZ440 Float Bowls not filling after rebuild
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere is a link to the K&L aftermarket kits. Many people aren't fans of the non-Kawasaki pieces.

I don't find a rebuild kit part number in Partzilla. Maybe someone else can chime in about an OEM rebuild kit.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

• jimbrickland
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2017 09:56 #776342 by jimbrickland
Thanks for the link. Can I run the bike in prime and watch the mileage between fill ups until I get a kit?