New to me bike, Starts for 2 sec. then dies.

More
31 Oct 2017 08:32 #774042 by czentner
Replied by czentner on topic New to me bike, Starts for 2 sec. then dies.
Update: the bike runs!

I took the carbs apart last night and the reason I didn't see the pilot jets before is because there was so much filth in the holes that they look like blind holes. I sprayed some cleaner down there and managed to get them all out. I couldn't poke my guitar string through them so I soaked them in carb cleaner over night and was then able to finally poke my guitar string through, which came out with black crap on the end of it. Put some compressed air through them and reassembled. I covered the intakes with some pod filters the PO was planning on running and it started and idled (poorly) but I was able to keep the engine running with throttle. Excellent!

I have new airbox rubbers coming in the mail, so now that I know it is a runner I will catch up on all the rest of the maintenance that needs doing over the winter and should have a good bike for the spring!

Thanks for the help guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2017 08:59 - 31 Oct 2017 09:03 #774044 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic New to me bike, Starts for 2 sec. then dies.
A couple things you may want to know...

These photos are from a Tk26 carb, but I think yuor Tk27 carbs are very similar.

Since the pilots were so gunked up, it may be likely the enricher circuit is gunked up too. The jet for the enricher is in the bowl, so it tends to collect dirt. The passage marked "2" feeds fuel to the jet marked "3".

Also, if you remove the choke rod, there is a tiny ball bearing inside the top of carb #3 that will pop out. Make sure you have the top of carb #3 removed and the slide diaphragm removed so you can catch the ball.

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 09:03 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: czentner

More
31 Oct 2017 14:20 #774057 by czentner
Thank you for the extra info, I really appreciate it. I will check the enrichening circuit!

More
31 Oct 2017 21:54 - 31 Oct 2017 21:54 #774076 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic New to me bike, Starts for 2 sec. then dies.
For good measure, you might want to check your wire harness. Chaffed wires shorting out. Wire joints down to their last wire strand. Switch contacts need cleaning. It happens....

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
Last edit: 31 Oct 2017 21:54 by azman857.

More
01 Nov 2017 08:19 #774089 by czentner
loudhvx - good call on the enrichening circuit. All 4 were completely blocked. I was able to clear them with carb cleaner, my guitar string and shop air. Thanks so much for volunteering that info, you likely saved me hours of headaches!