KZ Carb Recommendation

More
04 Sep 2017 16:26 #770342 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

M_a_t_t wrote: I think that those hp numbers sound about right. My KZ1100 only produces 100hp stock. Its 1089cc's and has a compression ratio of 8.9 :1.

I wouldn't buy based on my suggestion alone, but BS34's came stock on my bike with similar hp and displacement numbers. You might want to check those. I just ebayed them and only one set showed up so I don't know about availability.

Good luck, Matt

Put the bike on a,dyno and see what the numbers really are.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2017 17:54 #770346 by M_a_t_t
Replied by M_a_t_t on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

Right now it'd be 0 hp until it gets fixed :woohoo:

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

More
04 Sep 2017 18:52 #770348 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

M_a_t_t wrote:

:woohoo: :woohoo:

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
05 Sep 2017 09:20 #770383 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

Nebr_Rex wrote:

M_a_t_t wrote:

I think his actually does,run.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
05 Sep 2017 09:44 #770384 by tdmaker007
Replied by tdmaker007 on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

PLUMMEN wrote:

Nebr_Rex wrote:

M_a_t_t wrote:

I think his actually does,run.

No, it doesn’t. It needs carburetors, which is what this post was about. Sorry for the confusion, but I don’t care what the bike dynos, I have 0 plans to ever dyno or racing it. I only mentioned it in my post because I thought it would be helpful in recommending a carburetor.

I’d really like to keep the cost around $500 - $750, if it’s going to cost me more than that I’ll have to let it sit for a bit. I’m my original post I failed to mention I’m a bit of a newbie to street bike carbs, so please bear that in mind when recommending something. I do plan on running individual air cleaners on it which someone had asked.
Thanks

More
05 Sep 2017 13:45 #770396 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic KZ Carb Recommendation
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOver your budget I know, but ebay can be your friend.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
05 Sep 2017 14:13 - 05 Sep 2017 14:30 #770398 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

tdmaker007 wrote:

I’d really like to keep the cost around $500 - $750, if it’s going to cost me more than that I’ll have to let it sit for a bit. I’m my original post I failed to mention I’m a bit of a newbie to street bike carbs, so please bear that in mind when recommending something. I do plan on running individual air cleaners on it which someone had asked.
Thanks

If you can stretch the extra $100 I would get the smoothies.
They will only ever go up in value and they will perform well in conjunction with separate air filters.
Make sure the pods/filters you use are not those cheap Emgo's etc as these are usually very restrictive and are more show than go..
Go for Genuine K&N's or Ramair's etc or even meshed bellmouths (velocity stacks).
If unfamiliar with these carbs you may be wise taking the bike to a shop and get it set up on the dyno.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 05 Sep 2017 14:30 by zed1015.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
07 Oct 2017 19:57 #772501 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic KZ Carb Recommendation

tdmaker007 wrote: I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction on a carb selection.

That sounds like a great engine setup. And hold on to that RC header. Those pipes are hard to find these days, and have a good reputation.

So here is a long list of options, with rough prices and notes:
  • Mikuni VM26: $100-$200? I believe this is the stock carb for your bike. You'll likely lose the advantage of the improved piston & cams you have, but it should run fine. Probably great midrange.
  • Mikuni VM28: maybe $200 to $500? Used on the Z1R and I think later KZ1000 (not LTD) up to 1980, and GS1000. You'll get more out of your setup, but maybe not maximum power.
  • Note that both of the VM26 and VM28 carbs changed a little bit almost every year. 1979 and '80 models had accelerator pumps. Some used different types of bleed screws. I've read that the VM26 with pumps are no good. So if you decide to go with these, you should ask for a recommendation for a specific year and model.
  • Mikuni VM29 Smoothbore: $700-$900. Vintage aftermarket. Everyone loves these. Being vintage, parts are sometimes tricky to find. In high demand because they were the thing to have back in the day. Very well suited to your mods.
  • Keihin CR29 , CR31, CR33: CR29 comparable to VM29. Currently in production, about $1000+ new, but can be had for about $500 on Ebay if you are willing to wait a while for them to pop up. Parts are easy to get. The 29 or 31 should work very well with your setup.
  • CV (constant velocity as opposed to round slide), like Mikuni BS34: Maybe $100 to $300? CV carbs were used on almost all bikes from all makes after 1980. I think these came on KZ1000 Police for several decades. CV carbs have some nice benefits, and should flow enough for your mods, but folks say you need to run an airbox (not pod filters) if you want them to work well. Looks like you don't have an airbox, so...
  • Mikuni RS34 : About $900. Modern in-production race carbs. Not sure how well they work on the street. People do certainly use them though. Maybe a bit big for your setup? Up for debate.
  • Fuel Injection : ??? The GPZ1100 (83-85) was fuel injected. You can get the throttle bodies and injectors and bolt them on. But everything else you'd have to roll your own. This would be quite an adventure. Some here have done it. I'd like to.

Some other thoughts. The Z1, KZ900, KZ1000, KZ1100, GS1000, GS1100 all use the same carb-to-carb spacing, so you should be able to adapt carbs from any of these to your engine. Some models used a single cable, some used push-pull. Some used different sized mounting boots. But still, they can be made to work.

You can also look at this site: www.wgcarbs.com

For example, here is where I read that the VM26 with pumps are no good: www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/carburetor-sales
He says they are untunable, and he doesn't like to rebuild them. At the bottom of the page he seems to recommend the BS34, and elsewhere on the site is a guide to converting a KZ1000 to CV BS34 carbs.

The best compromise between performance and price is probably the VM28 or BS34. I recently purchased a set of used Keihin CR29 carbs on Ebay. So that was my personal choice, for an engine with mods similar to yours, given the above options.

I have a set of VM26 (I think from a 1977 KZ1000A1) and a set of BS34 CV carbs, rebuilt and never installed, that I'd be willing to sell if you're interested.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100