78 650' Carb issue. Broken needle stuck.

More
14 Apr 2017 17:24 #759196 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 650' Carb issue. Broken needle stuck.

Johnbug wrote: The only reason I really would replace them is if they do not play nice with the pod filters. Otherwise the loss in horsepower and performance is minor in my case due to the fact its my first bike and I'm looking for it to run first before worrying about getting every little bit of power out of it.

If your goal is to ride a bike that runs well use the stock air box and filter along with the stock carb jetting.

If your goal is to become a carb expert and spend more than a few hours and dollars fiddling with carbs trying to get the bike to run well install pods. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, Johnbug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2017 22:42 #759271 by Johnbug
Replied by Johnbug on topic 78 650' Carb issue. Broken needle stuck.
To put a nice little cap on all these events. The whole reason I originally took the carbs off before this needle issue was due to the carbs running way to rich and just having awful idle. Now with 102 and 15 it seems happy! Until I touch the throttle then it stalls due to not nearly enough fuel. So. With that I will order an airbox for it. For those who were interested the sizes I had in before were 112.5 and 15. They are all in VM22 carbs. For the first time though the bike seemed to idle right, No bad sounds from any cyclinders being flooded or what sounded like certain cylinders not having correct amounts of gas and attempting to bog down. I was actually surprised how pleasent the bike sounded when it was not trying to idle at 4k rpm then stall.

Proud Confused Owner Of A KZ650B2A

More
16 Apr 2017 04:32 #759274 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 650' Carb issue. Broken needle stuck.
Here's a chart that shows carb specs (jetting, etc.) that you may find useful. It includes VM22 specs. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnbug