Vacuum to manual petcock

More
14 Mar 2017 08:25 #756698 by Maxacceleration
Replied by Maxacceleration on topic Vacuum to manual petcock
I am having leaking carb issues right now. My '83 KZ 550 has the vacuum petcock with the prime position.
Is this one where I can get parts for it? Or...
The Pingel pictured above looks like a clean install. Looks more sensible than a Kawi vacuum unit.
My bike is smoking on start ups since I have been leaking fuel. I fear its fuel going into the motor???
(my '83 has CV carbs) Otherwise my bike runs cherry.

I will track down a Pingel, unless there is a direct swap Kawi/Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha replacement petcock.

My mint-ish 550 has never leaked fuel until my recent bringing out of cobwebs. Now it leaks all over. Grrr

'83 KZ550 'Mini Superbike'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2017 09:09 - 14 Mar 2017 09:12 #756701 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Vacuum to manual petcock

Maxacceleration wrote: I am having leaking carb issues right now. My '83 KZ 550 has the vacuum petcock with the prime position.
Is this one where I can get parts for it? Or...
The Pingel pictured above looks like a clean install. Looks more sensible than a Kawi vacuum unit.
My bike is smoking on start ups since I have been leaking fuel. I fear its fuel going into the motor???
(my '83 has CV carbs) Otherwise my bike runs cherry.

If your carbs are overflowing, which is not the same as leaking, the petcock is not the only problem. The float valve in each carb is supposed to stop the flow of fuel when the fuel level gets to a predetermined maximum. Since your bike has been parked for some time, it is very likely that one or more of the valves has crud in it, thus it or they cannot stop the flow of fuel.
If the carbs are in fact leaking, the petcock is not the only problem. A bike that has been parked for a while may have deteriorated orings and dried out gaskets that allow fuel to leak past them.
The bike may, of course, have all of these problems.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 14 Mar 2017 09:12 by TexasKZ.

More
14 Mar 2017 17:58 - 14 Mar 2017 17:59 #756746 by Maxacceleration
Replied by Maxacceleration on topic Vacuum to manual petcock
Thanks TexasKZ. We are looking it all over now, because yes, my bike has sat for a while.
Apparently there is a rebuild kit for my vacuum petcock FYI.

'83 KZ550 'Mini Superbike'
Last edit: 14 Mar 2017 17:59 by Maxacceleration.

More
17 Apr 2017 16:47 #759456 by Hamman
Replied by Hamman on topic Vacuum to manual petcock
Hey guys, thought I'd ask my question in this thread instead of making a new one for a simple question! I am going to get rid of my manual fuel petcock and replace it with a new Kawi One (51023-1375). Obviously one barb on the petcock is the fuel line but then for the vacuum do I just connect that to either carb port 1 or 2? Whichever is closest to the petcock I suppose? Currently there is a 650 petcock on there and I think it is choking out the gas, starving the carbs. Thanks for any info!

1981 KZ750LTD H2

More
17 Apr 2017 18:17 #759465 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Vacuum to manual petcock
I think the factory usually hooked it up to #2, but it really doesn't matter.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough