Dies when I touch the throttle

More
01 Oct 2016 16:20 #744187 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Dies when I touch the throttle
Great! Sounds like you are getting a handle on it.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2016 13:08 - 17 Oct 2016 13:09 #745459 by tv_cafewannabe
Replied by tv_cafewannabe on topic Dies when I touch the throttle
So I had this same thing happen when I got my barn find 82 750M running this weekend. I had originally started it (just to see if it would fire at all) without the airbox on and so the choke had to be on and any throttle at all would kill it. I assumed this was due to the ultra lean condition. When I put the airbox back on I could rev it with the choke on, but without the choke it would die. I assumed this was because the idle jet circuit wasn't quite clean yet.

HOWEVER, now that I am looking at the carb diagram in the service manual (I cleaned them without this diagram for whatever reason), I see these plugs in the idle jet pickup. Neither carb had these plugs. They weren't loose in the bowl, so I assume they were either removed/lost by a previous owner, dissolved completely without a trace, or are not in every particular Mikuni BS34 model on these bikes. Anyone have input here?
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 13:09 by tv_cafewannabe.

More
17 Oct 2016 13:59 #745468 by Benjo
Replied by Benjo on topic Dies when I touch the throttle

tv_cafewannabe wrote: So I had this same thing happen when I got my barn find 82 750M running this weekend. I had originally started it (just to see if it would fire at all) without the airbox on and so the choke had to be on and any throttle at all would kill it. I assumed this was due to the ultra lean condition. When I put the airbox back on I could rev it with the choke on, but without the choke it would die. I assumed this was because the idle jet circuit wasn't quite clean yet.

HOWEVER, now that I am looking at the carb diagram in the service manual (I cleaned them without this diagram for whatever reason), I see these plugs in the idle jet pickup. Neither carb had these plugs. They weren't loose in the bowl, so I assume they were either removed/lost by a previous owner, dissolved completely without a trace, or are not in every particular Mikuni BS34 model on these bikes. Anyone have input here?

My bike also lacked these plugs - As i was looking around at Mikuni repair posts on this and other forums I saw a lot of recommendations to "drill" them out in order to access the pilot jet. I assumed with mine that they were drilled out and never replaced.

For my bike it was the really thorough jet/carb cleaning that got me past the dying with throttle issue. It's been running quite well since. I've been taking it to work and cruising on weekends and what not. I still think i'm running pretty lean as I get pops on decel and downhills. I would love to get it 100% but time and money are sparse these days.

Best of Luck!

All the best