Trained-Eye Jetting Consideration Request...

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
13 Jun 2016 09:58 - 13 Jun 2016 10:57 #731207 by daveo

DGA wrote: May be that i'm off here, but an idle mixture screw only open a 1/4 turn, maybe this is based off the early eighties lean mixture settings. At that much open, there would be practically no flow. And if you had idle instability as you said, hung idle, that also points to idle too lean. In any case, with warm summer weather, you should need no choke to start from cold. Might be a tad lean for the first min or two, but run fine. Cant hurt to try another half open I say.

The RS carbs have the enrichener/choke as the BS34's, so cold weather cold-starts are done without touching the throttle.
I have not figured out the warm weather cold-start method for the RS carbs yet...rotate the throttle partway and hold it, or just enough to get the pump to squirt a little fuel in and let off, before hitting the start button?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 13 Jun 2016 10:57 by daveo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 Jun 2016 16:11 #731395 by daveo

daveo wrote:

DGA wrote: May be that i'm off here, but an idle mixture screw only open a 1/4 turn, maybe this is based off the early eighties lean mixture settings. At that much open, there would be practically no flow. And if you had idle instability as you said, hung idle, that also points to idle too lean. In any case, with warm summer weather, you should need no choke to start from cold. Might be a tad lean for the first min or two, but run fine. Cant hurt to try another half open I say.

The RS carbs have the enrichener/choke as the BS34's, so cold weather cold-starts are done without touching the throttle.
I have not figured out the warm weather cold-start method for the RS carbs yet...rotate the throttle partway and hold it, or just enough to get the pump to squirt a little fuel in and let off, before hitting the start button?

Ran with Pilot Screws about 1 turn out for a short while today. The motor sounded like a person trying to talk while gargling with old apple cider vinegar. So back to 3/8, where it seems good again. But now the needle clips are back in slot #3
Still not sure the best way to start it...tried pumping the throttle a couple times, without pulling the choke knob out.
Crank, crank, crank, d-d-d-d-d-d, crank, d-d-d-d...
After that, it didn't even want to start next with the knob pulled out, but did fire after a brief rest and couple more tries.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.