GPZ 550 Starting Issues

More
27 Jul 2015 15:09 #683030 by brandon22
Replied by brandon22 on topic GPZ 550 Starting Issues
Hey guys,

Solved!!! (More or less)

So I had some time to work on the bike this weekend. I took the carbs apart completely, including the air screws, and really cleaned it thoroughly.

While I was doing this, I cleaned the slides for the choke, and realized that my choke hadn't been opening all of the way. When I pulled on the choke it would slide forward, but not enough to actually open the slide. I cleaned it more and got it to move nicely.

With the better cleaning job, set airscrews, and the choke fully open I got the bike to start! Thanks very much for the manuals Corey, they helped a BUNCH in taking the carbs apart fully.

Thanks again for all of your help. That was step 1, now I need to get it running nice and clean it up!

This is a secondary issue, and one I think I know the answer to, but once I had it running (air box still off), whenever I gave it throttle it would die out a little, then sometimes pick up. I'm assuming this is an issue with running lean, and I'd assume adding air restrictions (such as the air box) or playing with the carb tuning can fix that, but if anyone had any further feedback on how to tune that I'd appreciate it.

-Brandon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2015 15:15 #683032 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic GPZ 550 Starting Issues
Yes; it needs the airbox and air filter in place to run properly. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
27 Jul 2015 15:31 - 27 Jul 2015 15:33 #683038 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic GPZ 550 Starting Issues
Balance your carbs first, then maybe experiment a bit with your airscrew settings.

These bikes are rubbish when cold off the choke and take a mile to warm enough to run cleanly in my experience, .

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 27 Jul 2015 15:33 by Tyrell Corp.